THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN YOUR KW PERSONA AND REAL LIFE

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

aTOMiC
Lord

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN YOUR KW PERSONA AND REAL LIFE

Post by aTOMiC »

Something interesting happened to me last night.

I watched an episode of Fox's Bob's Burgers that explored how a member of an online discussion group is thought of in reality based solely on their online persona.

In the episode Bob decides to attend a gathering of members of his online hamburger chef discussion group ala our own Elohimfest.
He is excited to finally meet all the people he communicates with in the group and is cheerful and pleasant at each encounter however it soon becomes clear that this online community has a decidedly negative view of Bob.
Bob is taken aback when it is revealed that his lack of understanding of how to use the proper posting etiquette has made him appear to the group to be a rude a-hole. (using all caps, etc)

It began occur to me as I watch the program that our perception of members of Kevinswatch must be greatly influenced by how and what they post on the site. The person you think you know may be considerably different in real life than whatever preconception we have built up over time. I honestly have no concept of what the reaction would be if any of you would meet me in person after the thousands of post I've made over the years.

To be fair I have actually met a small number of you which was in truth pleasant and fun and I have been lifelong real life friends with dANdeLION so there are no surprises there but the vast majority of you I haven't a clue what you are like in reality aside from photos I've seen and what you share on the Watch.

Upon meeting me I would expect a litany of comments such as:

I thought you'd be taller.
You are much older than I expected.
Your avatar is much more attractive than you are.
You don't look like you are brain damaged.
How many consecutive hours have you been awake?
Your wife must be a saint.
Will you excuse me? I heard Vain is in the building.

In any case I am unlikely to attend a future gathering any time soon but if I were I think it would be a fascinating experience for us both.

I was thinking of writing something amusing but fairly rude to close this post but considering the topic I thought it would be best to bow out in as dignified a manner as possible by saying "smell ya later".

-aTOMiC
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

You forgot, "I thought you were an ax murderer!" ;)

And why the hell aren't you coming to E-fest??

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

aliantha wrote:You forgot, "I thought you were an ax murderer!" ;)

And why the hell aren't you coming to E-fest??
Heh. Yes I did forget that one.

I also forgot "Its nice they let you out for this."

My biggest issues with attending the E-fest are logistics, monetary resources and an un-diagnosed social anxiety disorder issue. What we used to call "shy" back in the 80s. So you see its nothing personal. :-)
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

I don't know. Iolanthe has met me IRL, not sure if she had any expectations. :lol:
Obviously I'm neither 12,5ft tall nor wearing granite armor.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

The people on this forum know me significantly less well than the folks on two--no, make that three--other fora where I have been before. I still post as "myself", by which I mean my method of speaking and my thought processes, but if you met me in some offline place I doubt you would guess my online identity here merely via conversation (but I suppose it would be possible).

I don't have any preconceived notions about how any of you would look or act in an offline situation.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Like Hashi, it would be accurate to say of me that the people on this forum know me significantly less well than people on a couple of other forums where I have been posting much longer (and have met more of them in person).

And I think it's quite realistic that people might not necessarily act the same in RL as they do on the forum. (Although I am remembering an occasion on which my kids and I met a bunch of people on one of my other forums, and after an hour or so together, my daughter walked over to a computer and posted on the forum, "It's just like the forum, but louder. :P)

The only one here I've met in person is Menolly. Though back in the day I used to chat with a bunch of Watchers, some no longer posting here, and got to know some of them a bit better that way.

I have never been able to work Elohimfest into my schedule, despite a desire to do so. This year, you had the misfortune to schedule it way too close to my son's wedding to allow me to attend.

That's life!
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Frostheart wrote:I don't know. Iolanthe has met me IRL, not sure if she had any expectations. :lol:
Obviously I'm neither 12,5ft tall nor wearing granite armor.
No, no preconceptions, but you were smaller than I expected. :D

No difference here. What you see (read) is what you get. I
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

I am pretty much exactly who I am on this site. A slightly off balanced, impulsive a bit passed middle aged woman.

I do not go to many on line sites because I have been a victim of an online hoax/scam in the past. It was very debilitating and humiliating. It has left me very nervous when posting, which is why I have evolved into the Queen of Self Doubt. :queen:

I, in fact, seek out 3D meetings just to ensure people are who they are. I don't care what people look like, what they do, whether they are shy or a partier. I just care that they exist. Until I meet them in person, I work on the premise that they are a fake.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Iolanthe wrote:No difference here. What you see (read) is what you get.
Same. I think that's true for most people here, at least the ones I have met.

Meeting my WoW guild in a few months will be a bit weirder. (We're going to have a recruiting booth at a local convention.) Since I'm not on Facebook or any of that stuff, I don't know what most of them look like, and I do tend to picture them as looking like their characters.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I was amazed by how many of the Watchers I've met are just like they are here. I don't mean physically. I've long since given up being surprised in that way. I'd've bet money this or that person was blond, but actually had jet black hair. Taller. Whatever. But personalities in almost all cases have been exactly what they seemed to me here.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

Yeah if you friended me on FB or follow me on Twitter you pretty much realize I am who I am and that's all that I am.
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

I pretty much am who I am, too. But I'm cautious about letting out too much specific and identifiable personal stuff on a public forum.
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Insofar as possible, what you see is what you get. Oh, except I swear a lot more in real life. A lot more. :D

--A
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

No idea. Maybe you could ask the people I met from my WoW guild what I come across like in real life, I don't know.
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

When I started here, I adopted a confident personality. Once several of you met me, I relaxed into my regular personality, which was the first time I had tried an experiment like that. And once I relaxed into my regular personality, I won a Watchy for being a gadfly. Which stung a bit.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Cagliostro wrote:When I started here, I adopted a confident personality. Once several of you met me, I relaxed into my regular personality, which was the first time I had tried an experiment like that. And once I relaxed into my regular personality, I won a Watchy for being a gadfly. Which stung a bit.
I've met you. I think you are the furthest thing from a gadfly.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

I'm like Muffin - I have no idea how I come across here as opposed to real life. Actually in real life, I'm a few different personalities depending on the company. Like Av, I swear a lot more in real life, although if I were at an Elohimfest, for example, I'd probably be more conservative and swear a lot less.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

StevieG wrote:I'm like Muffin - I have no idea how I come across here as opposed to real life. Actually in real life, I'm a few different personalities depending on the company. Like Av, I swear a lot more in real life, although if I were at an Elohimfest, for example, I'd probably be more conservative and swear a lot less.
I doubt that. There is a lot more swearing at EFests.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

It probably would depend on how comfortable I felt - and maybe how many drinks I'd had (I'm a placid, but swear-y drunk).
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I think I'm the original Watcher of whom the question "what if he's an ax murderer?" was asked. I guess that says something about my on-line personality. ;)

Return to “General Discussion Forum”