DC's connundrum

Archive From The 'Tank
Cail
Lord

DC's connundrum

Post by Cail »

Judge orders D.C. to vacate makeshift shelters for homeless families
A D.C. Superior Court judge on Monday issued a stinging rebuke of Mayor Vincent C. Gray’s handling of a prolonged surge in family homelessness, ordering his administration to immediately stop housing poor families on cots in gymnasiums on freezing nights.

Judge Robert D. Okun said the communal sleeping quarters that the District began erecting in recreation centers after a midwinter change in policy appeared to deny scores of parents and children their right to privacy and security under city law and may be traumatizing for children.

The temporary injunction forces the District to stop using the makeshift shelters while a class-action lawsuit against the city by 79 homeless families plays out. Okun’s action amounts to the fourth and largest courtroom defeat for Gray’s administration on the controversial shelters — and will dictate for the remainder of the cold weather season how the city provides emergency services for the homeless during hypothermia alerts.

In fact, on the first day of a March cold snap, officials said the judge’s order would probably mean that any family seeking shelter in coming nights would be placed in motel rooms at city expense.

They would join the nearly 400 families who sought shelter earlier in the winter and remain in motels at an ongoing cost to the District — as well as mounting political expense to Gray.

Aside from an ongoing federal investigation into whether Gray first won office with the help of widespread illicit campaign spending, the homeless issue has emerged as the biggest flash point in the mayor’s race. The mayor’s challengers in the April 1 Democratic primary have seized on the record influx of homeless families, and their scattering in motel rooms and rec centers, as evidence of a failed approach to homelessness under the current administration.

The District is one of just a handful of places nationwide with a legal responsibility to shelter the homeless on freezing nights. The law spells out that families should have apartment-style housing or private rooms. In January, as an increasing number of homeless families sought shelter, the city began using recreation centers, using partitions to separate sleeping spaces between families.

Attorneys for Gray’s administration said they would appeal the decision. In a statement, Dora Taylor, a spokeswoman for Gray’s Department of Human Services, forcefully disagreed with Okun’s order. The D.C. Court of Appeals on Monday denied the city’s emergency motion to postpone the judge’s order.

“Unfortunately, we think the judge is simply wrong. The law does not require the District to provide apartment style shelter or private rooms,” Taylor wrote. “Certainly we strive to provide the best possible environment for families, as evidenced by the approximately 800 or more families that we have placed at our apartment style shelters, the private rooms at the DC General family shelter, and over 470 hotel rooms, until we exhausted all of these shelter and hotel rooms available to us.”

Okun rejected the District’s argument that finding private sleeping quarters for any homeless families who seek shelter is a financial burden for a city that has already spent far more than anticipated this winter to shelter families in need. A city lawyer said in court Friday that the District has paid more than $4.5 million this season; $3.2 million was budgeted.

But Okun said in court that the “psychological harm of the most vulnerable members of our society, the children of the homeless,” was greater than the “modest” financial challenges the District may face in finding motels or apartment-style rooms for these families on the remaining frigid nights in the coming weeks.

Washington has experienced a 135 percent increase in homeless families seeking emergency shelter this winter.

The District’s only shelter for children was filled with 300 families at the start of winter. As more families arrived on freezing nights saying they had nowhere to stay, the District was forced to rent more than 400 motel rooms across the city and Maryland. In January, Maryland officials objected to relocating any more homeless families into the state, and District officials said they had no other choice but to take the unprecedented step of putting families in the common rooms of city recreation centers.

The shift to communal shelters has also struck many low-income, homeless and child advocates as callous, drawing in pro bono work by lawyers who this month won class- action status for the 79 families who had been placed in recreation centers since late January.

The lawsuit alleged that children, parents and sometimes grandparents had been unable to shower for days and got only cots in big, noisy rooms that were illuminated all night. Flimsy partitions exposed unrelated families to one another.

The lead plaintiff, Melvern Reid, who has custody of her 10-year-old grandson, described two nights in one of the shelters in which the two could barely sleep and the boy was “terrified.” “He was scared of the strangers in the room with him and did not want to leave his grandmother’s side,” according to the complaint.

The filing said the boy slept in his clothes, afraid to change in front of others; had to be left with a stranger while Reid, 59, used the bathroom; and slept with a blanket over his head because of the lights.

Families who testified last week offered similar stories.

Dalanda Griffin, her husband and her three young children had been doubled up, sharing the apartment of a cousin, in violation of his rental agreement. With nowhere else to go, they turned to the city last week and were placed in a Southeast Washington recreation center that had been turned into a makeshift shelter.

Griffin said her children — ages 2, 4 and 5 — were awake the entire night, with the smell of marijuana wafting through the shelter. They were afraid, she said, of the strangers sleeping in cots near them, separated by six-foot-high partitions. “I didn’t sleep. My children didn’t sleep. We didn’t feel safe,” Griffin, 22, testified.

Griffin testified that one of her children was so afraid at the recreation center that she urinated on herself during the night. She said that people were smoking marijuana outside and that the smoke could be smelled inside. The next night, instead of returning, Griffin and her family slept in the hallway of an apartment building, she said.

Under an earlier court ruling, the city was required to relocate a handful of named plaintiffs in the case to motels.

Outside the courtroom Monday, several of the homeless families hugged the pro bono lawyers with the firm Hogan Lovells. Reid said she stayed in a hotel Sunday night as opposed to returning to the recreation center with her grandson.

“I am so happy,” she said. “I hope everything now works out.”

The District’s long-standing practice had been to allow families put up in motels on hypothermia nights to stay until transitional housing could be provided by the government — usually an apartment subsidized in four-month intervals. Under the city’s January policy change, those seeking housing on freezing nights are sheltered on a night-by-night basis.
For those who are unaware, the DC government is as corrupt and inefficient as they come. They're also solidly in the red. DC is also an incredibly expensive place to live.

So no one wants kids (who are innocent victims in this) freezing to death. And there's a reasonable case to be made that mass shelters aren't the safest place in the world for children. But this seems to me to be an overreach of the government's authority and/or responsibility.

It's also a short-term, short-sighted "solution" to the problem that doesn't address the root causes of said problem(s).

I don't know what the solution is.

For starters, you'd do well to toss people out of shelters who are drunk or high, and prohibit smoking & drinking. At the very least that would make the mass shelters safer for everyone.

But could a case be made that children of homeless parents are temporarily put into the foster system? Granted, the DC foster system is a disaster, but that would (hopefully) insure that the children were being fed, clothed, and educated. It'd also allow the parents to get their crap together without worrying about the safety, education, and general providing for their kids.

I dunno though. Tough one.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Damn Cail, they're homeless with kids in winter, and now you want them sober, too? Harsh. :twisted: Now I'm going to feel a little guilty drinking the 20 gallons of homebrew I've just made. Not only will I have the capacity to get pleasantly buzzed on a delicious drink for many months, but my beverage has "home" right in the name. God, what a guilt trip.

We're living in an amazing time when a person can be homeless and their neighbors have to--by law--put them up in hotel rooms. A gym isn't good enough? Being saved from hypothermia is not enough? Literally saving people's lives isn't enough? We also have to worry if their kids are scared and have a good night's sleep? Unbelievable. How safe do those kids feel on the street?

Now, I don't want kids freezing to death either, but I thought Obama was going to fix all that, and turn the economy around. When a Republican is in office, the stories about the homeless (not to mention the war body count) is all over the news. Now we have record numbers of homeless, and people receiving government assistance, without a corresponding increase in news stories about it. They're filling all the hotel rooms in the area, and it's still not enough. That would seem to me to be pretty damn newsworthy. And it's happening right in Obama's city. Someone should ask him about that.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Zarathustra wrote:Damn Cail, they're homeless with kids in winter, and now you want them sober, too? Harsh. :twisted: Now I'm going to feel a little guilty drinking the 20 gallons of homebrew I've just made. Not only will I have the capacity to get pleasantly buzzed on a delicious drink for many months, but my beverage has "home" right in the name. God, what a guilt trip.

We're living in an amazing time when a person can be homeless and their neighbors have to--by law--put them up in hotel rooms. A gym isn't good enough? Unbelievable. I don't want kids freezing to death either, but I thought Obama was going to fix all that, and turn the economy around. When a Republican is in office, the stories about the homeless (not to mention the war body count) is all over the news. Now we have record numbers of homeless, and people receiving government assistance, without a corresponding increase in news stories about it. They're filling all the hotel rooms in the area, and it's still not enough. That would seem to me to be pretty damn newsworthy. And it's happening right in Obama's city. Someone should ask him about that.
It is ironic that the news about the homeless gets as much coverage now as the ME body count.

And yeah, I've got a problem turning emergency assistance into a right. I've also got a problem with the entitlement mentality that elevates bitching about free room and board to a lawsuit.

But by the same token, I don't want kids in a homeless rapeatorium.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

The class-action suit was filed by 79 families and the story cites about 400 more, so let's round up a hair and call it 480 families. They city has spent $4.5 million, so that comes to $9,375 per family. Granted, that isn't a lot with which to work but those are the numbers as they exist.

Are there vacant office buildings which could be used for temporary housing? At least the office building could offer rooms with a door that locks even if the restrooms are communal; showers would have to dealt with elsewhere. Although still not ideal it would be more ideal than cots in a rec center separated by translucent dividers.

All the hotels are taken? Really? Couldn't that $9,375 have been used for a bus ticket to an area where hotel rooms could be rented for, say, $60 per night? Even if we allow for $1,000 for bus tickets that still leaves enough money per family to stay in the hotel for 139 days, or more than 4 months, taking them out of the worst of winter.

People shouldn't wonder why this is a problem. The story cites a 135% increase in homeless families seeking emergency shelter but this increase is because the city legally required itself to grant shelter, leading me to suspect some of the homeless families "moved" to Washington, D. C. because of this legal requirement--they knew they would be housed by the city.

This is going to seem heartless but it not the responsibility of government to provide housing for homeless families. It is the responsibility of those families to find their own lodging. If they cannot afford to be in the Washington, D. C. area then they will have to move to an area where they can afford to live.
We will always have poor people and we will always have those who are homeless, whether by accident or by choice. I do not know the circumstances which caused these families to find themselves homeless but enabling them by giving them free shelter is not the way to help them in the long term. Until we start making people take responsibility for themselves then too many people will continue to make poor choices.

The City Council members who enacted this law should be required to house a homeless family in their own homes. If you are going to require your city to house families then lead by example.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, homeless people here don't have these kinds of luxuries. Of course, you can always build a shelter in an informal housing settlement as they are officially known. It's no safer really though.

At least it doesn't really snow, although a few people do freeze to death every year. (It's the altitude.) And a lot die in fires caused by trying to keep warm.

Some good suggestions by Hashi there I think. (Hotel rooms for the homeless? My god, first world problems.)

--A
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

First world problems, indeed. Great way to put it. I've been using that phrase a lot lately, especially with my son. He was very disappointed that Titan Fall was delayed again [ :roll: ], and I have to just sigh and remind him: when we were kids, we played with rocks and sticks and mud (literally ... mud ball fights across the pond were a blast). You have too much, kid.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Zarathustra wrote:First world problems, indeed. Great way to put it. I've been using that phrase a lot lately, especially with my son.

Sometimes, when I'm feeling irritable, that phrase really gets me into hot snark mode...
Sure, some folk whine too much about their "first world problems."
But let's be honest: most of the purpose of our entire culture is to create a world where all we HAVE are "first world problems," instead of "third world problems."
I might even argue...I'd have to think on it...that our evolution as social creatures was, in part, a positive selection for those who eliminated/avoided "third world problems."

But: on topic-ish----
I don't know the DC situation, really.
But when I was in LA, even in the areas where the homeless congregated [were "herded" is much more accurate], the homeless people were vastly outnumbered by the number of empty apartments.
That's been so in all the cities I know anything about: homelessness can be a complicated problem, but the one thing it never was was a lack of space...not even a lack of space with doors and locks.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Vraith wrote:

But: on topic-ish----
I don't know the DC situation, really.
But when I was in LA, even in the areas where the homeless congregated [were "herded" is much more accurate], the homeless people were vastly outnumbered by the number of empty apartments.
That's been so in all the cities I know anything about: homelessness can be a complicated problem, but the one thing it never was was a lack of space...not even a lack of space with doors and locks.
Precisely. It isn't a lack of space but rather a question of "who is going to pay for it?" Beyond that, it's all nimbyism--"yes, we should house them but not near me because they might bring crime and drugs in with them".

There was a large homeless shelter run by the downtown Presbyterian church a mere kilometer from where I used to work in downtown Dallas. Once you cross Commerce street (at least in that part of downtown) you have gone from "settled, civilized downtown Dallas" to "empty, quasi-post-apocalyptic downtown Dallas" with shuttered buildings that probably older than I am and haven't been used in 20 or 30 years.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Vraith wrote:
Sometimes, when I'm feeling irritable, that phrase really gets me into hot snark mode...
Sure, some folk whine too much about their "first world problems."
But let's be honest: most of the purpose of our entire culture is to create a world where all we HAVE are "first world problems," instead of "third world problems."
I might even argue...I'd have to think on it...that our evolution as social creatures was, in part, a positive selection for those who eliminated/avoided "third world problems."
Probably mostly true, (although the potential implication of that last one could be problematic) and hey, problems are problems. The homeless there and here have similar ones, but the ones here don't have as many options.

It's just that when there are people who would literally kill to have the problem of having to sleep communally with potentially dangerous people in close proximity, the question of whether they should be given private rooms seems a little inconsequential.

I'm sure if you asked the homeless in DC if they'd rather sleep outdoors or in a communal shelter, most of them would opt for the shelter.

--A

Return to “Coercri”