Star Wars - Original Cast - No Expanded Universe

Talk about both the movies and the books.

Moderator: aTOMiC

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Star Wars - Original Cast - No Expanded Universe

Post by Avatar »

I'm frankly surprised not to see a topic on this yet.

A bitter sweet moment...my years of calling for sequels with the original cast (including on this forum ;) ) heeded.

www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2014/04 ... or-sequel/

But they will not be treating the expanded universe as canon.

This might spoil the sequels for me, as they're going to be mostly making up a whole new story. Dunno if I can watch them. :?

www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/04/28/jj-abram ... ays-disney

Damn.

--A
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Well, re: the expanded universe, none of the other films have been created as adaptations of existing stories - and that's what they'd have to be, given that the future of the original cast has already been plotted out in the expanded universe stories. The films have all been original work, and I didn't expect to see them choosing to start making adaptations going forward.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Oh, I realise that. But for more than 20 years they were a way for us to continue experiencing that universe. To have that thrown away (after having been authorised) is going to be hard. I'd be watching saying "that's not what's supposed to have happened." :lol:

--A
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

The only Expanded Universe character I am familiar with is Kyle Katarn and to be honest I'm not bothered in the slightest that he nor any of his EU brethren will be included in the film canon. Stan Lee put it best when he answered a question about what he thought about the changes made to his characters in film. I'm paraphrasing but he said something to the effect that the comics are the comics and the movies are the movies and he's fine with that. I don't quite understand the complaining that General Thrawn won't be appearing in the films. Making the films doesn't erase the character from the book from which he is only known in the first place.

I'm fine with how JJ Abrams and Disney are handling the Sequels. Perhaps in the future a film might be made featuring EU characters once the immediate film plan runs its course.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Does anyone know if this next trilogy will be following Lucas' story ideas for the nine film story arc he originally planned?
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I don't remember anything specific about Lucas' original idea for these next three.

The local used bookstore had several EU books from the New Jedi Order arc. I got them, hoping for a fun read some day. Interesting about a living planet. Like Mogo from the Green Lantern comics? Or Eon from Marvel Comics?
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Return to “Star Wars and Star Trek Forum”