It's getting harder to find the correct place to post.

Main forum for site announcements, suggestions, and help.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Vain

peter
The Gap Into Spam

It's getting harder to find the correct place to post.

Post by peter »

This is probably a thing that other people have discovered, but since the publication of TLD [and having now read the complete TC story] there are many instances where one wants to discuss an issue from the first/second Chrons - but in the light of future events as they finally unfolded in the last series of books. This presents a problem in that a) in which 'forum' should one post such a question/topic and b) to what extent does one 'spoiler' when engaging in discussions that cross the series boundries [I'm thinking, can one now say, discuss any element of any book in TLD forum without having to 'spoiler' ones post after every second word.]

It would be nice to have some clarification on this [I always assume that if you're in TLD forum then you've read it; am I wrong on this]. In the absence of 'such a place' being currently extant, it really would be nice to have one place where you can cover cross series topics in their enterity safe in the knowledge that if people are in there they understand that there will be no spoilering and that any event from any book is fair game for inclusion.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

We're definitely running into this in the Efest threads, in light of some of the stuff SRD said at the dinner.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

That is not an answer to his question Ali... ;)

--A
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Given the current state of the forum, if you want to discuss anything that relies on knowing how the Last Chronicles ends, you need to do it in the The Last Dark forum. I don't think that's something there is any question about.

Could we use a general Last Chronicles forum? yes. The Last Dark forum is really about the book. The book-centric forums were nice while they were rolling out, but their utility will shrink over time. After all, we have no The One Tree forum, for example.

Should we continue to keep Last Chronicles stuff away from the other two Chronicles? I think so. There may come a day when the answers no, but all indications are that there will be people avoiding spoilers for a long time. I think a separate forum would be appreciated.

... that, anyway, is my two lira.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Avatar wrote:That is not an answer to his question Ali... ;)

--A
I don't *know* the answer, okay? :lol:

Although a Final Chrons forum isn't a bad idea. Or maybe it should be a Whole Chrons forum, since the series is done.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

You heard 'em, Avatar: Make it so.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

We already have a "The Last Chronicles" forum, with each book having its own sub-forum. How will it look if the above changes take place?
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

You'd have just one The Last Chronicles forum, with maybe a The Last Dark forum under it.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

No - the 'Whole Chrons' Forum, with a no holds barred understanding that anything and everthing relating to the books can be included unspoilered [and if you go in there you do so at your own risk] is what is needed.

We seriously now need to be able to discuss the Chrons as a whole; not only would this enable the Last Chrons to be seen much better in the light of 'what has gone before', but also the earlier Chrons in the light of what was to come. [ie Does it all hold together across the years; Can the events Of TLC's be reconciled with what we were told in the 1st and 2nd Chrons and how does it weave in together]. These questions [and they are important] cannot be adressed unless we are given free rein in an unrestricted forum to explore them fully.]

There is much work left to be done by the Watch re the Chrons - we only now [after 35 years] have the full picture to see. Let's go to work.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

Ok, I'm good with that.

One forum for full spoiled discussion of everything.

(WF, the only reason we don't have a One Tree forum etc. is cause Jay didn't think ahead. ;) And when we realised we shoulda, it was too late, and the 1st & 2nd Chrons discussion was too intertwined to break up.)

"The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant - Free Discussion"
*Full and free discussion of all Chronicles. *EXPECT SPOILERS* You have been warned.*

How does that sound? 24 hours to discuss argue or disagree.

--A
Last edited by Avatar on Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

My only concern is for those who use View Posts Since Last Visit. There is no way to put spoiler tags on titles or the snippets of a post that show up in those listings, nu? I agree posters can choose not to enter the forum, but would they need to be warned not to use the View Posts Since Last Visit option when they first join if they haven't finished the chrons?

Perhaps if the forum was hidden, with a link to it prominently displayed on the index somehow?

Post by Avatar »

Not good to hide away such important stuff. We could make it group members only (don't like that either) or we could make it "no spoilers in titles." That function only shows post titles.

Or we could remove the "posts since last visit." ;)

--A
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Avatar wrote:Or we could remove the "posts since last visit." ;)

--A
Augh! My ears! I heard that howl from the Pacific NorthWet all the way to DC! ;)

I'm good with your wording, Av. And spoiler-free post titles would seem to be the way to go. :)

EZ Board Survivor

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Maybe from SD, not from me. I'm good with the orange dot tree. :)

Just thinking of n00bs who may use the feature before reading all of the chrons...
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

ali's hearing is acute, much like that of the Ranyhyn. I had not even read Av's post yet...but her detection of my vehement objection was sure.

Don't kill "posts since last visit." I loves and depends on that feature!

Of course, I am not worried about spoilers (could I be any more spoiled?), but the other protections discussed should suffice.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

A combined forum goes against my obsessive need to keep everything organized, but I can't think of a good reason against it.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Most new members will probably acess via the home page [or encounter it pretty early in their membership - so I don't see perhaps quite the problem as others as long as the warnings are clear and unambiguous at this point. However the concern is valid and must be adressed. I'll be fine with it, but am a little unclear as to what is meant by the proposed solution. Can someone just run by me how it will work.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

--A
:E
Surely you jest?
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Damelon wrote:

--A
:E
Surely you jest?
So *that's* where that other howl came from.... ;)

EZ Board Survivor

Post by Avatar »

peter wrote:Can someone just run by me how it will work.
So, there will be a new forum under the SRD forums that allows spoilers for all 3 Chrons. :D

--A

Return to “Announcements + Suggestions + Q&A + Help”