The place for fiction and poetry....

Moderators: deer of the dawn, Furls Fire

Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

A whole new woooooorld...

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

... or, maybe, wooooooooorlds.

Sometime in the middle of working on my "Jllarmolljn's Shadow" project as well as my "romantic-magic storyline," I had a sizable flash of inspiration. The result was an idea for a multiseries epic along the lines of Sanderson's Cosmere, i.e. each subset of the series would focus on a world with a different kind of magic, with a two-book finale series compassing the multiverse (actually the hypermultiverse--more on this below!) in which all these worlds exist.

Tentatively, the first subset would be the "Jllarmolljn's Shadow" trilogy itself.

The second novel would be the "romantic-magic storyline."

The third novel would be (hypothetical-title time!) The Pilgrim's Game, a world where all magic is based on animals with horns, e.g. unicorns especially (this domain's equivalent of angels) but also giraffes, rhinoceroses, antelopes/gazelle/w/e, etc. The premise would be that "long ago," living beings were able to perceive the world with not just the senses we know of (the five-ish humans have, echolocation/magnetolocation, etc.) but a huge array, but somehow these perceptual abilities disappeared much over time, and the unicorns ever since have been guiding evolution to try to reintroduce the lost forms of awareness. The caveat is that an evil unicorn is stabbing things across the world with its horn, causing them to give off so much light that visual perception in the vicinity of the altered objects is nullified. Eventually, the evil unicorn intends to voyage to some place in its world where it can overload the entire cosmos with so much light that visual perception altogether is lost to creation. So the good unicorns make their way across warfields and so on, to try to intercept the evil one, but a demonic being known as the Scorpion Ram interferes with their adventure, forcing them to make a choice in the end: sacrifice the world's vision, or sacrifice the world's moral sense itself. God/dess in this realm is "the Highest of All" and "the Form of Life," a living celestial fractal, Whose branches form the Tapestry, the mystical loom that unicorn/related horns can "sew" with.

Next book: a Ptolemaic world where magic is based on the zodiac. I.e., the Primum Mobile radiates pure creative energy towards the planet at the center of this universe, and by the time the energy reaches its target, depending on star-alignments and what-have-you, it is attenuated variously so that in some countries at some times, certain spells are possible; and in others at others, others; and so on. No idea what the endgame for this would be.

I think there was another subset for all this before the finale, but on to the finale...

It would turn out that when the universe in "Jllarmolljn's Shadow" became a multiverse at the end of that series, that event was the origin of all the worlds in the other books. However, overarching these worlds is a plane of existence known as the Cardinality, where both natural and magical universes/multiverses coexist. That is, there is a God as per the other subsets, but God is not the Creator of everything altogether, but only of whatever has been in fact created. So there are multiple multiverses, i.e. a hypermultiverse. And some of the universes and multiverses are alive...

... and one of the latter is very, very, very evil. Born from one multiverse raping another one (literally enough), this "Dreadrealm" has for its goal the rape of the Cardinality itself, to spawn a new hypermultiverse based on some new abstract concept of evil. To achieve its goal, the Dreadrealm has to transform the Cardinality itself into a living, and therefore able-to-be-raped, being. Without explaining how the story does not end in tragedy, I will say then that the Dreadrealm does in fact achieve its goal, and in fact is so powerful that even God/dess can't prevent it from doing so; so the way the protagonists "come out on top" is along a very different line. The process involves a man from a world where magic is based on being dead, a man who learns the names of God/dess from all the different subrealities in which God/dess is Incarnate (so this dude knows about Jllarmolljn, about IEUE/Siaphia from the "romantic-magic storyline," about the Highest of All, etc.). Somehow this process allows the guy to come up with a spell based on linking specific spells from throughout the Cardinality.

Tryin' to post a quote from some material for this that I wrote but havin' a hard time of it...
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Re: A whole new woooooorld...

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
Mighara Sovmadhi wrote:... Tryin' to post a quote from some material for this that I wrote but havin' a hard time of it ...
Try running it through THIS.

For more info see Wayfriend's The "406 Not Acceptable" Thread.
Last edited by Wosbald on Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Or this: utils.paranoiaworks.org/diacriticsremover/

That should remove any characters that are preventing it.

--A
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
Avatar wrote:Or this: utils.paranoiaworks.org/diacriticsremover/

That should remove any characters that are preventing it.

--A
Oh, yeah. That's the one I wanted. I copied the wrong link. Thanx.

Will fix my earlier post to match yers.

Return to “The Hall of Gifts”