What books are your re-reading RIGHT NOW?

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

What books are your re-reading RIGHT NOW?

Post by deer of the dawn »

Some books are just better the second (or 3rd, or...) time around.

As a Jesus freak I am always re-reading the Bible, but I also find other books are even richer and deeper and more enjoyable on rereading. Any Jane Austen, Tolkien, Donaldson, etc. are obvious choices. But what other books are you re-reading? Post them here, please!

I'm currently rereading River of Stars, by Guy Gavriel Kay.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Re-reading "A Wrinkle in Time," but I started it in the middle of re-reading Ender's Game.

I am considering breaking -that- to try to re-read "Till We Have Faces." (C.S. Lewis)

So, if you didn't get that, it'll probably look like this if I finish them all this time around:
{"Ender's Game" {"A Wrinkle in Time" {"Till We Have Faces"} } }

If Bible re-reads count: the book of Hebrews.

Also, full disclosure - I was re-reading Jane Eyre a bit ago... and I'm going to fess up and say I didn't finish it.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I'm re-reading Bakkers Kelhus series. I re-read everything...most of my reads are re-reads.

--A
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Avatar wrote:I'm re-reading Bakkers Kelhus series. I re-read everything...most of my reads are re-reads.

--A
I got kind of ridiculous with the re-reads last year.

I'm always re-reading the Bible, but I mostly re-read last year. I think the only new books I read were Hunger Games, the Gregor the Overlander series, and A Thousand Splendid Suns.

Currently reading something new, Inkheart[/] by Cornelia Funke. It's full of references to re-reading favorite books. :)

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

deer of the dawn wrote:...Currently reading something new, Inkheart by Cornelia Funke. It's full of references to re-reading favorite books. :)
Pretty amusing. :lol:
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Currently re-reading The Wind in the Willows.

I think this book was my first experience with truly ravishing prose.

Post by Avatar »

Ah, I do love it. I should read it again soon.

--A
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I just read The Greatest Knight, by Elizabeth Chadwick. Because I very recently learned he, William Marshal, was my 25th great-grandfather. :lol:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

all the jack reacher books. (well i'm listening to them on audible)
I read books over and over again, just like I watch movies over and over, just like I listen to albums over and over.

I can't help it.
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Sounds like the best kind of addiction ;)
Fist and Faith wrote:I just read The Greatest Knight, by Elizabeth Chadwick. Because I very recently learned he, William Marshal, was my 25th great-grandfather. :lol:
How incredible.. wow 8O What did you learn about him?
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I've typed a response that will not post. Don't know why. I typed it here, so no imported symbols that clash. Somehow it allows this post.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

:(

Yeah I have that issue a lot .. but I use my phone mostly . I have this page open continuously https://pteo.paranoiaworks.mobi/diacriticsremover/

Got if from Av .. its a diacritics remover .. very handy .. fixes the problem but deletes phone emojis 🤷‍♀️ cant win em all I guess
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Yeah, I've used that site. But never needed it when I wasn't copying from another site and trying to paste here. But it worked, so here it is.

Hard to say. Historical Fiction, after all. I'm sure the major plot points and his accomplishments are accurate.

Certain events are known to have happened. For example, When he was an injured prisoner, someone snuck some bandages to him hidden in a loaf of bread. Also, he rode against Richard the Lionhearted and, rather than kill Richard, which surely would not have been a good idea, killed the horse, making the point that "I could have killed you, but I didn't." Richard later asked him to serve him as he had served Richard's father and brother.

I had wondered how he and my 25th great grandmother, 25 years his junior, got together. I assume the political arrangement was accurate. She was a young heiress, in the Tower with other young heiresses. Henry promised her to William, but died before it happened, then Richard gave her to him. It's plausible, given the nature of arranged/political marriages then. I can only hope they were as happy as they are in this portrayal. (700 years later, my great grandmother was 25 years younger than my great grandfather. Don't know how that came about!)

His general character is supposedly fairly accurate. Very loyal. Always kept his word. Navigated the times as honorably as he could. He was loved by Eleanor of Aquitaine.

Obviously, conversations are fiction. The author said one character, his mistress for a few years, represented various women.

A good read. Henry II & Eleanor and their sons shaped the world in ways that have carried to our time. Very important historical figures. But they were horrid, evil people. Henry cheated on Eleanor all the time, despite the fact that she was a wonderful, beautiful woman who brought "HUGE _ tracts of land" to the marriage. So she sided with one son against him, which is why she was imprisoned for 16 or 18 years until he died. Prince John was Henry's loyal and favorite, but he abandoned Henry at the end when he thought he could get a better deal, and Henry died alone and devastated. John's attempts to keep Richard imprisoned by the Germans, telling everyone Richard was dead so he should be King John, are perhaps fairly known. On and on. These people were terrible.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Post by Avatar »

Fist and Faith wrote: He was loved by Eleanor of Aquitaine.
Now there's a woman that history often does not give enough credit to.

--A
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

True .. they were horrid and she was a catch. Some men just dont deserve a good woman

Fascinating history .. and for you a personal journey given your genealogy.
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Last year I re-read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. Love that book.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

I re-read all the Harry Potter last year, and am re-reading Lavengro, a book I love which probably no one else in the universe does (although apparently there's a society of George Borrow fans in Wales... what does that say about me?).

I'm thinking of re-reading the Lord of the Rings. I haven't in several years because of watching the movies too much, I guess.

Post by Avatar »

I'm on the last book of my complete re-read of all the Malazan books, both Erikson and Esselmont.

--A

Return to “General Literature Discussion”