Rick and Morty

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Rick and Morty

Post by [Syl] »

Wubba lubba dub dub! Pickle Rick!

And all that jazz. I'm tempted to do a dissection-style breakdown of every episode and see who joins me.

The main thing about the show, that I've never seen anyone talk about, is that it's existentialist humor. Existentialist. Humor. I can't think of anywhere else I've seen that done. If everything is infinite, then nothing is very unique (I usually hate it when people put those words together, but I think it's necessary here). Compared to the vastness of the cosmos, our instincts and usually our literature tell us that we're insignificant. But compared to infinity, so is a galaxy, a supermassive black hole, etc. Significance is something for us, by us, and by that logic, anything and everything can be significant. Or not. Rick knows this, and it's what makes him such an asshole to everyone except his family (even Jerry, when it comes down to it) or a couple close friends.

We care about Rick or Morty, but we've also seen them callously kill other Ricks and Morties, who in their own universes are just as real as the ones we like, and laugh about it. Entire inhabited planets are wiped out, and Rick's an asshole because he doesn't care. And we're sitting there laughing about it, even if those laughs usually start with, "Oh shit."

The only 'good' person on the show is Jerry. He's a loser, and everyone looks down on him, including the audience. Morty tries, but he also turns everyone on his original Earth into Cronenbergs or creates a giant incest baby because he can't control his teenage urges. And yet no matter how often Mortys moral reasoning proves to be hilariously misguided (law of unintended consequences in full effect on this show) Rick still needs him around because a stupid moral center is still better than no moral center
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

It's a very fast paced show that rewards you for paying attention.
There was one where everyone were fakes that had to be killed and I was just thinking WTF is happening?
I forget the episode though. It was hysterical.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Favorite episode after watching the entire series remains Pickle Rick.
Insane, hysterical and simply awesome.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I'm mostly a fan, thought the two previous seasons were a bit down, but liking this one so far. I do like the way that they'll just go anywhere. :D

--A

Return to “TV Shows”