The Conspiracy Thread

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Kinslaughterer
The Gap Into Spam

The Conspiracy Thread

Post by Kinslaughterer »

Aren't conspiracies great? Some turnout to be true others drift beyond the realm of absurdity. I suppose you could call me a bit of a conspiracy theorist although I mostly enjoy reading about them as opposed to actually believing. Have any popular or personal conspiracies you entertain?
Here are some of the more popular conspiracies floating around (in no particular order):
1. Roswell, 1947
2. JFK Assassination
3. The Replacement Paul McCartney
4. The Illuminati/Freemasons (not the same but close enough)
5. Princess Diana's accident
6. CIA's MK-Ultra program (one of my favorites)
7. The October Surprise
8. The Moon Landing
9. Vince Foster's Suicide
10. The Philadelphia Experiment (has nothing to do with my Eagles :cry: )
11. The Lincoln Assassination
12. The Holy Grail/Mary Magdalene/Bloodline of Christ
13. MLK Assassination
14. 2000 U.S. election
15. Marijuana Madness
16. Commie Fluoridators
17. The royal drug pusher (Thank you Lyndon! :roll: )
18. The near-assassination of Reagan
19. The Gemstone File
20. TWA flight 800
"We do not follow maps to buried treasure, and remember:X never, ever, marks the spot."
- Professor Henry Jones Jr.

"Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet."

https://crowcanyon.org/
support your local archaeologist!
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Area 53 (or whatever it is called, where they keep the Roswell aliens out in Nevada). :P
Love as thou wilt.

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

51... aka Groom Lake. Now closed, and IIRC, moved somewhere around White Sands, NM.

Growing up in NV, it's one of the things you hear about all the time. I can say for certain that my friend Dan and his mom saw the B-2 Stealth flying over the southern Nevada desert (they made lots of trips between Reno and Vegas) years before it was released to the public.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Zephalephelah
Banned

Post by Zephalephelah »

Roswell:

The USA had just developed Jet Propulsion. They were testing all sorts of stuff in the desert. That’s where the nuclear bombs were tested, in the desert. If you had never seen a jet before & you saw something streaking through the sky at speeds faster than you thought possible, then you would be willing to follow the lies too.

Imagine seeing a Stealth bomber before the public was made aware of their existence. Same thing.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I actually think it would be pretty terrifying to see something like the stealth jet, and have no idea of what it is! It really would be like something straight out of a science fiction movie!
Love as thou wilt.

Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

I've always thought that Oswald could not have acted alone in the assasination of JFK...Alot more going on there I think..
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Gil galad
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gil galad »

dont look at me, i dont have jfk's brain in a jar in my room. i do wonder how you could lose a brain though...
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I used to know this guy who had the most bizarre conspiracy theory. He and a friend had spent years developing it. He was so determined that he was right that if I ever tried to argue with him he would go ballistic. Anyway, this is it:

According to freudian psychology, the stress of a job will cause people to develop a neurosis/neuroses; highly stressful jobs therefore produce dangerous neuroses. Because government jobs are stressful (such as with politicians), they will develop strong sexual urges and get involved in kinky things. Enter the homosexuals. According to the theory, homosexuals are malicious and want nothing more than to convert the rest of the world to their sexuality. In order to control society, they blackmail politicians with evidence of their depravity (because the homosexuals got their hands on photos or were there). They can then order the politicians to do what they want. The homosexuals have been running the show for over a century. They also are helped by the freemasons, who are using the government to cover up their satanic practices and to get their hands on children to sacrifice during masonic rituals/meetings.

What a loony!
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Let's not forget the "Elvis lives" theory.

And just to stoke the fires of the "replacement Paul", look at this photo. That is NOT Paul McCartney! Heh!

"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
Kinslaughterer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kinslaughterer »

I read a silly theory called the "Leftist ESP conspiracy" yesterday. The author believes a group of extreme left-wing women with powerful mental capabilites are using mind control to order male politicans to enact leftist policies. Talk about sci-fi...
"We do not follow maps to buried treasure, and remember:X never, ever, marks the spot."
- Professor Henry Jones Jr.

"Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet."

https://crowcanyon.org/
support your local archaeologist!
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Even Conspiracy Theories Have Gotten Dumber, a New Book Shows [In-Depth]
Photo: Rick Loomis/Getty Images

Maybe Americans are obsessed with conspiracy theories because our nation itself was forged in one. In the turbulent run-up to and aftermath of the Declaration of Independence, the word on the streets -- and in the pamphlets -- of the colonies was not that the Crown had instituted bad or unfair policies, but rather that everything was part of a master plan to enslave the States, full stop.

"Historians have uncovered nearly one hundred resolutions urging independence issued throughout 1776 by states and counties and towns, artisan and militia associations, and the provincial congresses of nine colonies," write Russell Muirhead and Nancy L. Rosenblum in A Lot of People Are Saying: The New Conspiracism and the Assault on Democracy, a new book from Princeton University Press. "The tone, language, and form are consistent. In each, a narrative of self-defense against enslavement is built from fragmentary evidence. Each lists 'abuses and usurpations' adding up to a tyrannical plot."

[...]

What these "traditional" conspiracy theories have in common, whether true or false, is that they portray what are actual internally consistent theories involving rational(ish) actors. These are not, however, the focus of Muirhead and Rosenbloom's book, which homes in on a more recent and more dangerous phenomenon. The "new conspiracism," as they call it, seeks not to lay out fully (or even half-) baked theories about who has engaged in what evil act, and why, but rather to spread a more knee-jerk and emotion-driven type of angry fear: Above all, it seeks to undermine both individuals and sources of authority by simply repeating endlessly, via the megaphone of social media, unhinged claims laminated in the thinnest patina of evidence. "Conspiracy theory is not new, of course," Muirhead and Rosenblum write early on, "but conspiracism today introduces something new -- conspiracy without the theory."

As they explain:
There is no punctilious demand for proofs, no exhausting amassing of evidence, no dots revealed to form a pattern, no close examination of the operators plotting in the shadows. The new conspiracism dispenses with the burden of explanation. Instead, we have innuendo and verbal gesture: "A lot of people are saying ..." Or we have bare assertion: "Rigged!" -- a one-word exclamation that evokes fantastic schemes, sinister motives, and the awesome capacity to mobilize three million illegal voters to support Hillary Clinton for president. This is conspiracy theory without the theory.
The instances above point to one obvious catalyst, Donald Trump, along with the forces that made him president. If you look around, you won't find, or won't find much, actual theorizing about (for example) why one should believe a child-sex trafficking operation was being run with the help of Hillary Clinton's campaign manager out of a Northwest D.C. pizza shop, let alone for even more convoluted and nonsensical theories like the Storm (aka QAnon). "What validates the new conspiracism is not evidence but repetition," argue Muirhead and Rosenblum. "When Trump tweeted the accusation that President Barack Obama had ordered the FBI to tap his phones in October before the 2016 election, no evidence of the charge was forthcoming. What mattered was not evidence but the number of retweets the president's post would enjoy: the more retweets, the more credible the charge."

Why do people spread this stuff? "Part of the appeal is performative aggression," the authors write. "The new conspiracism delivers dark claims, though the fabrications are erratic, vague, and undeveloped -- more angry assertion than revelatory narrative. For angry minds it offers the immediate gratification of lashing out, of throwing verbal stones." Not a spotlight on a hidden truth, but rather a million algorithm-multiplied middle fingers. And at a time when America's problems -- inequality, polarization, political and wage stagnation -- feel intractable, it makes perfect sense that people would be drawn to this sort of outlet for their frustration.

Photo: Princeton University Press

[...]
Last edited by Wosbald on Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

:LOLS:

😔
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

When I was younger a friend of mine urged me to read "Protocols of the Elders of Zion", gave me a copy and hovered over me while I read it. I realized it was anti-Semitic horse manure as I read it.

Last night we watched The Great Hack and I have to say, it makes a very good sell for the Russian interference in the election theory.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

The Russian interference with US elections though is hardly a conspiracy theory as there exists a mountain of evidence that solidly establishes Russian interference 🤷‍♀️
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

The Persian Rug Conspiracy with pictures

During the week I got two monthly magazines, Future Music and MusicTech.
In Future Music there was an article on Seb Wildblood, a DJ who is making some major noise on the London clubbing scene at the moment.
Accompanying the interview was a picture of his studio.

His Persian rug is exactly the same as mine.

On the MusicTech DVD was a group interview with Nick Halkes. He talked
to a small group of music students about his successful career with XL Records, a London/New York record label
that has signed Indie bands such as Prodigy, and Radiohead.
He to has exactly the same Persian rug.

Coincidence or conspiracy?

Of course there is the possibility that there is only one rug - mine!
And it appears to be having a better social life than me. :wink:
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Hahaha, I have a couple of very similar ones, but not, I think, exactly the same. :D

--A
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Avatar wrote:Hahaha, I have a couple of very similar ones, but not, I think, exactly the same. :D

--A
It wouldn't happen to be like this one by any chance?
featured in this months MusicTech (studio rugs) :P

The Persian Rug Conspiracy update ...
So this months MT comes with a 'Mixing Companion' booklet,

showing I know very little about mixing.
The current piece I'm working on got so muddied with fx I had to strip it back to its original mix.
This booklet is a welcome boost to keeping the track alive and kicking.

Conspiracy or coincedence?

... most certainly the later :oops:

Hey, wait a minute!
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

The party animal Persian rug re-emerges!
Featured in this month's FutureMusic magazine, an interview
with electronic music artist Rebekah at her studio in Berlin.
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Looking out for that mirror universe Persian rug in this month's MusicTech,
sadly a 'no show'.

There was a small caption in a feature called: The 6 Ways To Improve Your Studio Mental Heath,
that looks like the carpet in question, but too small to make a 100% identification.
Even under my jeweler eyepiece that I use for solder inspection work,
the image is reduced to a matrix of coloured dots.

As for the FutureMusic magazine ... I couldn't get a hold of one this month.
Which only leaves me to say, conspiracy or not, that was great fun!
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Is QAnon the newest American religion? [Analysis]
Illustrated | Getty Images, iStock

[...]

An in-depth report on QAnon in The Atlantic's June issue closes with the suggestion that QAnon could become the latest in a series of "thriving religious movements indigenous to America." But research from a Concordia University doctoral student, Marc-André Argentino, shows the church of QAnon already exists and seems poised to spread. Argentino attended an online QAnon church where, he reports, two-hour Sunday services with several hundred attendees consist of prayer, communion, and interpretation of the Bible in light of Q drops and vice versa. The leaders' goal, Argentino says, "is to train congregants to form their own home congregations in the future and grow the movement."

It's not inconceivable that they'll succeed, especially after pandemic restrictions ease and in-person gatherings resume. (The pandemic, of course, fits neatly into the QAnon narrative as a plot to oust Trump before the mass arrests and executions of cabal members can begin.) Many QAnon members express a desire for community, describing how they try to convert loved ones to their cause and browse QAnon hashtags to make like-minded friends. QAnon church would fill that need, as religious gatherings long have done.

That's what makes me think the church of QAnon may be a portent of things to come: Traditional religiosity is declining in America, but humanity will not cease to be religious. It will merely diversify its sources of increasingly customized religiosity. From lapsed evangelicals, as many QAnon adherents seem to be, to religiously unaffiliated "nones," people crave the community, meaning, and purpose church provides, even if they abandon or reject its teachings.

Satisfying that craving with politics and conspiracy theories isn't new, but the QAnon church's self-description as a church stands out. It's one thing for outside observers to characterize a political movement as religious in its enthusiasm or expectations of loyalty; it's another for participants to explicitly brand their own community as religious and start holding services.

Whether other groups, especially of dramatically different political persuasions, will make the same leap is difficult to say. Could we see something comparable on the left?

On the one hand, there is some unique resonance with this style of religiosity and the political right. QAnon builds on apocalyptic thinking common in parts of evangelical and fundamentalist Christianity in America. Q drops frequently include Bible passages, and the style of study of scripture and Q texts employed -- the careful search for hidden prophetic meaning and correspondence to history and current events -- is very much a creature of the religious right, an heir aberrant of Left Behind and The Late, Great Planet Earth.

On the other hand, one of the strangest things about QAnon is it's a conspiracy theory born of victory, not defeat. Trump is president, after all. But typically, "conspiracy theories are for losers," University of Miami political scientist Joseph Uscinski told The Daily Beast. "Normally you don't expect the winning party to use them." And perhaps this is why QAnon is taking a religious form: Having Trump in power allows for hope where most conspiracy theories offer only an account of evil. QAnon adherents believe their work decoding Q drops contributes to an achievable final triumph. Forming communities, then, has a purpose beyond commiseration.

If the victory-born nature of QAnon is thus significant, we might look for similar "churches" to pop up elsewhere as the national balance of power shifts. A Democratic president in the Trumpian mold -- a populist demagogue prone to attributing every failure to sabotage -- could inspire something similar. I wouldn't expect the same Christian syncretism, but neopaganism (remember the story of the Brooklyn witches hexing Brett Kavanaugh?) or broadly new-age spiritualism might do the trick, producing a service with, say, meditation and a spell instead of prayer and communion.

[...]

Return to “General Discussion Forum”