Runes, Prolouge, Ch. 1: Mother's Son

ROTE, FR, AATE, TLD

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Runes, Prolouge, Ch. 1: Mother's Son

Post by Fist and Faith »

The book opens in Linden's office. Roger Covenant, son of Thomas,...

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Just kidding folks!! :mrgreen:

Moderator's note: Even thought this posting began as a joke, it did develope into a worthwhile discussion--please feel free to add to it. We have elected to make this thread into the first (serious) chapter dissection of The Runes of the Earth) keep reading, it gets much more 'academic' as it goes along-d
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Haruchai
Giantfriend

Post by Haruchai »

Damn You Fist!!!!! :x :x :x :x
I was getting excited!
"I see you keep a bee" - Danny Bhoy

"I'll move on when I'm ready to" - Reservoir Dogs

"Their pheremones fizzled like ice cream and lemonade" - Harvie Krumpet
Lament
Woodhelvennin

Post by Lament »

ROFLMAO!!!!!
Covenant recognized that this was a fact. But he had not expected such an argument from the Giant.
"Foamfollower'" he muttered, climbing out of his bed, "you've been thinking again."
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Haruchai wrote:Damn You Fist!!!!! :x :x :x :x
I was getting excited!
:cry: :cry: *snif*

:LOLS:
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Haruchai
Giantfriend

Post by Haruchai »

:P :twisted: 8)
"I see you keep a bee" - Danny Bhoy

"I'll move on when I'm ready to" - Reservoir Dogs

"Their pheremones fizzled like ice cream and lemonade" - Harvie Krumpet
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

The setup in this chapter is classic Donaldson. I can understand why it was released for pre consumption. It is amazingly tantalizing but also manages to reveal almost nothing beyond what is absolutely necessary. A short history lesson is included with a sketchy outline of what Linden Avery has experienced in the ten years following the end of WGW. We discover the fate of Dr. Berenford and something about the mood of the town but the most disturbing aspect is the specter of Roger Covenant. There are hints here that suggest something ominous and perhaps disastrous.

I must know more! I eagerly await Runes in its entirety. :D
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I completely disagree. I found the 'teaser' to have no affect on whether or not I'll run to the book store 2 weeks prior to the release date and pre-pay for my copy....... :screwy:
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

TOM C wrote:The setup in this chapter is classic Donaldson. I can understand why it was released for pre consumption. It is amazingly tantalizing but also manages to reveal almost nothing beyond what is absolutely necessary. A short history lesson is included with a sketchy outline of what Linden Avery has experienced in the ten years following the end of WGW. We discover the fate of Dr. Berenford and something about the mood of the town but the most disturbing aspect is the specter of Roger Covenant. There are hints here that suggest something ominous and perhaps disastrous.

I must know more! I eagerly await Runes in its entirety. :D
TOM C, in another post I mentioned that a) Roger seems comprimised by the Despiser and b) That if Joan is once again a representation for the health of the Land (recall that blood shed was needed to sustain her and the land itself...Foul is a sick *blank*, ain't he?) TC and therest will have a tough go of it. That need to harm herself (it the region of thought no less) could have many repurcussions.
Spoiler
watch your langauge please-danlo
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

TOM C, in another post I mentioned that a) Roger seems comprimised by the Despiser and b) That if Joan is once again a representation for the health of the Land (recall that blood shed was needed to sustain her and the land itself...Foul is a sick *blank*, ain't he?) TC and therest will have a tough go of it. That need to harm herself (it the region of thought no less) could have many repurcussions.
Spoiler
watch your langauge please-danlo

A Message for Danlo:
Spoiler
Sorry! I though the use of the subsitution (*) would be OK. Won't happen again.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Furls Fire
Lord

Re: Runes of the Earth - One: Mother's Son

Post by Furls Fire »

Fist and Faith wrote:The book opens in Linden's office. Roger Covenant, son of Thomas,...

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Just kidding folks!! :mrgreen:

Such a brat :P

Mr Donaldson wastes no words...there is so much going on in those first 12 pages. We are in for one hell of a ride!!! I can't wait!!! :D :D
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Earthblood
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthblood »

That little bit has SO peaked my interest! I can't wait for the rest.
"You're afraid of yourself."
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

SPOILERS!!!

Post by duchess of malfi »

SPOILERS!!!!!!!

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!

Roger's eyes...
What is it with the children of Thomas Covenant and their non-sane eyes? 8O

And the whole thing about Joan...how she loses her teeth, how her body has aged far beyond its years...will that be a foreshadowing of what is going on in the Land?

And how a year ago, she started to try to kill herself by beating herself up? After having spent the previous nine years in the same state Thomas was in when the Elohim locked him up inside of his own head in TOT? How many years pass in the Land for one of our years? Is that when Foul would have started his latest assault upon the Land? And why does only the touch of her white gold wedding ring quiet her?

Too many questions...it'll be a long wait until October and we start getting our answers... 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O
Love as thou wilt.

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I must point out the significance of this chapter's title. He is his 'Mother's Son' in far more ways than one.

I wasn't going to elaborate on the above (I like making comments like that and leaving it - I always just expect people to know exactly what I'm getting at without me pointing it out), but I feel like explaining:
Spoiler
Most importantly, it is clear that what happened in his early life (to his mother and father) had a bad effect on him - it left him vulnerable in the same way Joan had been vulnerable when Foul managed to take a hold on her - and clearly this vulnerability was found quickly by Foul. Thus, he is truly his Mother's Son.
Edit - Actually, this has made me want to comment on an observation I have made. I read this chapter, and I see all sorts of things - possibilities, implications - and I can pick up a good idea of what is going on (or at least, it seems to fit because of the earlier Covenant books). Other people seem to read it and don't think there is enough information to guess anything yet. Odd. I think I'm this way with a lot of books - the more so the more I read. Back when I first read the second chrons (ooh, a whole three/four years ago, I think), I wouldn't have picked up things this easily, even with the knowledge of the first chrons I had. It's why I feel sometimes that i'm not getting the full effect of events, revelations, etc in books - I've usually already guessed them.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Roger is possessed by either moksha or turiya. Joan is lost, as Triock was for a while.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

MORE SPOILERS!!!!!!

MORE SPOILERS!!!!!!!

MORE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!

What did Joan fail at?
after all, TC went to the Land and died...seemed pretty successful to me...

What task of Joan's does Roger now need to take over?
Love as thou wilt.

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

**SPOILERS**
Of course, if you've started reading this thread, it might be assumed you finished the 2nd Chrons, and no spoiler warnings are necessary. But since we're not done dissecting the 2nd, I guess we should put them in. :D

Foul's still trapped within the Arch of Time, neh? What was done to Joan before TWL, and her behavior toward Covenant - basically, everything the made him sacrifice himself for her - did not break Covenant.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Roger is one freaky bleepity-bleep bleep bleep. If I were Linden I would be running for the hills right about now.

*shudder*

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

"she told me that if she failed I would have to take her place..."
Roger, taking Joan's place, in securing the white gold into Foul's hand. Joan was Foul's means in the second chrons to get the white gold from Covenant. Now, it falls to Roger.

From the excerpt SRD read at Bubonicon, chapter 5 of the prologue, we learn that Roger kidnaps both Joan and Jeremiah. Why Jeremiah? In kidnapping Joan for Foul, he already has the white gold (Joan is wearing her ring now). Why would Foul need to lure Linden to the Land too? Hmmmmmmm...
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

A guess off the top of my head is that he wants to use her against Covenant. "Remove yourself from the Arch of Time, let me loose into the universe. I know how to get out without destroying this Earth, but you must be gone from the Arch. If you do not, I will claim your Chosen," he said the word with as much contempt and ridicule in his voice as possible, "as I have the other women you have loved. But what I did to Elena and Joan, and even dukkha Waynhim, will pale in comparison! Mark me, Groveller! Your anguish as you witness the pain and degredation that she will suffer for all Time will be boundless!"

Or something else.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Erm, hmm, let's see. Maybe Foul still doesn't get it that TC is the white gold? Linden has TC's ring; she's been instrumental in saving the Land before; her talents could well be used against him again. Maybe Foul's just covering all his bases. He may well believe that others can wield the white gold (why else would he be so hot for Joan to have her own ring back?) and so he may want to get Linden where he can neutralize her, once and for all.

F&F, I like the idea of Roger being possessed by a Raver -- but how did the Raver get into our world? I think we're all pretty well settled on the fact that there is no physical transference between the Land and our world. Are you suggesting that Foul has figured out a way to get someone's spirit from there to here? That would be a first! We've seen the Creator in our world, and Foul's nasty red eyes and his influence. But I don't believe anybody from the Land has made the crossing yet.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/

Return to “Last Chronicles”