Oscar Wilde

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Oscar Wilde

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

I've seen The Importance of Being Ernest on stage, and it was quite amusing. Have not had much opportunity to explore other of his works, except...

The Picture of Dorian Gray - I read it while on field studies in Maine last summer. What a book! Gave me a better understanding of the era's class differences, but the dark themes running throughout were the big draw. What an opportunity it would be, to have a picture of yourself like Dorian did. Would you use it as he did, knowing the consequences?
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I love Oscar Wilde's works - the two you mentioned are classics, however his poetry is a bit lacking.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Heh, the only Dorian Gray I know is from the movie "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen". And no, I wouldn't have played it like that if I were him.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
FizbansTalking_Hat
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by FizbansTalking_Hat »

Oscar Wilde is one of my personal favorite writers. His work fascinates me, if you really want a fun and amusing read you should check out The Importance of Being Earnest, so many word games and world play names in that story, it messes with your head. Cheers.
"...oh my god - there is a nerd stuck beneath my space bar.."
- Jules - 9:34 P.M. Conversation MSN --
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

I love Wilde. The Picture of Dorian Gray is amazing.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Lord Mhoram wrote:I love Wilde. The Picture of Dorian Gray is amazing.
Agreed.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

I've been reading a lot of Wilde over my break. I've read: "Lady Windermere's Fan," "Salome," and "A Woman of No Importance." To go between now & Tuesday: "An Ideal Husband" and "The Importance of Being Earnest."

Loremaster,

I've always thought Wilde was right up your alley as far as literature goes. Which of his plays do you like? And do you recommend any others (the five I listed are part of one volume I have)? Or his poetry?
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I absolutely love the Importance of Being Earnest. It's so God-damn funny. I recommend his poetry, but it's largely 'idyllic'.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

I can't wait to read it. It's the last play in the volume.

Have you read "Salome" by any chance? It's verrrry strange, totally unlike anything else he wrote. A symbolist masterpiece though, and I enjoyed it immensely.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I'm put off by Salome - given the origins of the poem/play. Perhaps one day I will read it.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

My one gripe with it was - you know how Wilde's plays tend to have shorter, more terse lines? Nothing overly long, usually? He's generally known for his short & witty aphorisms, I suppose. But in "Salome" there is a lot of long, drawn-out dramatic soliloquoys. A lot of old English - "thy," and that sort of thing. Now I'm not saying it doesn't work, Shakespeare employed that kind of technique constantly obviously, but it just isn't Wildean.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Wilde is infamous for that sort of thing. I mean, he frequently indulges in the 'imagery of art'. So I suppose Salome is just that; a flourish of art. I like that about him, though. To me, he is the icon of the decadence movement.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

And decadence is always good. ;) :lol:

--A
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Avatar wrote:And decadence is always good. ;) :lol:

--A
:lol:

Get out of my forum with that nonsense! ;)
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Started reading The Picture of Dorian Gray today. I'm enjoying, although I must say the most striking thing initially was how long the first sentence was. I actually re-read it a few times to make sure I was all one sentence.
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

What do you think about the story now?
The Somberlain
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by The Somberlain »

I finished Dorian Gray yesterday. I thought it was brilliant. And I don't often think that about books written more than 80-90 years ago. The only bit I didn't enjoy was the chapter about all the jewellery and tapestries he was collecting, which just seemed to go on and on for pages and pages.

But the rest was truly gripping.

Return to “General Literature Discussion”