Most tense parts of the Gap sequence ***spoiler warning***

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

Loredoctor
Lord

Most tense parts of the Gap sequence ***spoiler warning***

Post by Loredoctor »

Spoiler
Okay, for me it was when Nick was given the codes to control Angus. I just sat there and thought, 'my god, poor Morn and Davies.'
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Good one, Loremaster. For me it was the last twenty or so pages of Chaos and Order. 8O :crazy:

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Sorus wrote:Good one, Loremaster. For me it was the last twenty or so pages of Chaos and Order. 8O :crazy:
God yeah. That was incredible - in some ways the best book of the series.

Must reread Gap.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Loremaster wrote:Must reread Gap.
Me too. It's been too long since I read the whole series start to finish without interruption. Next on my list after I catch up with Erikson.

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Sorus wrote:Good one, Loremaster. For me it was the last twenty or so pages of Chaos and Order. 8O :crazy:
Oh! I know it! :D

If it had been a film, I would have been on the edge of my sit, biting my nails! :D

As it was, I was in awe and suspence of the entire sequence! :D
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

good one Loremaster.
Another for me was the whole last council scenes in 'A Dark and Hungry God Arises'. The tension during those sequences were great.
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Usivius wrote:good one Loremaster.
Another for me was the whole last council scenes in 'A Dark and Hungry God Arises'. The tension during those sequences were great.
Oh yeah, good pick.
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

I just finished A Dark and Hungry God (second reading)...when Liete makes her decision...the moments between the decison and the outcome....WOW!
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

A Gunslinger wrote:I just finished A Dark and Hungry God (second reading)...when Liete makes her decision...the moments between the decison and the outcome....WOW!
For me, that, and also the general escape from billingate stuff,
Spoiler
particularly the "last moments" of Billingate"
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

I am almost 200 pages into C & O...it is a damn page-turner with each chapter revealing another layer of false assumptions, betrayal and utter horror!! I had forgotten how great it is! Jiminy crickets I'm going to weep!
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

I think one of the moments I remember the most was waiting for the last book to come out, finally getting it, reading the first chapter (???-maybe? It's been a while since I read it) and the Amnion ships surrounding the earth. If I am remembering it correctly. Just blew me away with the tension, cause I knew that the fecal matter had just hit the cool-down device. And things were just about to get especially interesting.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
ItisWritten
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ItisWritten »

Chaos & Order: I'm not a fast reader (besides, I like to savor the tale), and 100 pages a day (especially with the paperback's tiny print) is alot for me. So when I say reading the Massif V sequence from when Soar destroyed Beckman's Lab (200 pages) kept my thumb glued to the binding all day, you'll understand.

It's a good thing I was home alone that day. There aren't too many things I can do one-handed.
ItisWritten
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Welcome to the Watch, ItisWritten. Why not go to the Summonsing forum and introduce yourself?
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Welcome indeed, ItisWritten.

I wish I could have made C&O last a whole day the first time around.

Don't remember how long it took me to read it but it was over waay too fast. (I think I spent the whole day pretty dazed from the whole experience though.)

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Sorus wrote:Welcome indeed, ItisWritten.

I wish I could have made C&O last a whole day the first time around.

Don't remember how long it took me to read it but it was over waay too fast. (I think I spent the whole day pretty dazed from the whole experience though.)
Hear hear. :D

(And welcome.)

--A
Turiya
Stonedownor

Most tense moments

Post by Turiya »

A lot of them (The Gap really isn't conducive to breathing at a normal rate. . .I don't think I breathed *at all* for all of Chaos and Order and the end of This Day All Gods Die. . .). I'll go in order (ah, the wonderful freshness of having just reread them): Spoilers follow, so be forewarned:

1) Waiting for Angus to be arrested. You knew it was coming, but still--at that point it was still possible SRD would kill him off.

2) Enablement. That whole 200-ish pages of the creepy Amnion installation (not to mention "I wish to sit") made me (with a great effort of will) go "Put. . .the. . .book. . .down. . .

3) The Angus/Davies meeting on Billingate. Shock and horror and punching, oh my!

4) Billingate's "last moments", of course.

5) Nick getting Angus' priority codes. That was *horrible*. I cried.

6) The whole sequence leading up to the singularity grenade. *Brilliant*.

7) [/i]Trumpet coming out of the gap broadcasting the formula. . .and Calm Horizons being right there.

8) The hull sealant. The super-light proton cannon. I think I almost had a heart attack.

This whole series is amazing, but that's what's sticking out as heart-stopping moments right now :)
If...
Frank The Rabbit
Servant of the Land

Post by Frank The Rabbit »

There are really too many to name, but several that spring to mind are:

- Nick's desperate moments at Billingate where he clings to a crew that is close to mutiny. Those were the best chapters in the series and fill me with awe and inspiration every I read them.

- Morn's rescue from the Amnion sector and the subsequent destruction of Billingate.

- When Calm Horizons resumes tard (or is it tach? My terminology is lacking) near Earth and the tense standoff that follows.

- The situation on Suka Bator with the amazing Koina/Cletus dynamics.

I just know I'm going to have to read it a fourth time.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Frank The Rabbit wrote: - When Calm Horizons resumes tard (or is it tach? My terminology is lacking) near Earth and the tense standoff that follows.

- The situation on Suka Bator with the amazing Koina/Cletus dynamics.
Good choices!
Stutty
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Stutty »

"We're looking at an outright apotheosis here Angus. The Amnion are going to give us a superlight proton vasectomy!"

Forgive the paraphrase.

The sense of hope, wonder, fear, no words for it.

stutt
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1001001 = ASC(73) = "I"
Cshaw71
Stonedownor

Post by Cshaw71 »

When Angus walked up behind Holt on Motherload and SRD leaving us with the image of Holt screaming in terror. At the point I think my head almost exploded. Even though that wasn't the most tense part, it was the one the just blew me away. SRD just left Angus with one of the most dangerous ships in UMC loaded with information that could give him endless resources. I don't recall SRD's exact breakdown of the ships capabilities but I just imagine Trumpet on steriods.
Try see it once my way
Everything Zen
--Bush (not the President or his Dad)

Return to “The Gap Series”