CIDER

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

cheeseman
Servant of the Land

CIDER

Post by cheeseman »

this is the remedy to the BEER thread. for all those who hate the smell, sight, taste and sound of the foul brew known as beer. come and share your love for the greateset beverage known to man!!!

ahhhhhhhh Old Rosie!!!! may i drown for eternity in your sweet golden nectar.......
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

growing up hot apple cider was always a treat. and then to discover alocoholic cider as an adult? truly good stuff.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

MMmmm... I like me a nice cool glass of woodpecker!
growing up hot apple cider was always a treat
Away, fiend! None of your pansy apple-juice here!
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

not apple juice but hot cider. just after the apples are picked and pressed. i miss the apple orchids.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Hooray for this thread, cheeseman! I can't stand beer myself.

I love Strongbow cider - "England's Dry Cider" it calls itself. Never been to England, so I don't know if that's true. All I know is it tastes great.

By the way, Nathan, may I ask what is woodpecker?
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

I like Strongbow, too. It seems to be the most common Cider to find on tap in English pubs, followed by Blackthorn, which isn't as sweet (and I don't like it as much).

Woodpecker is another brand of cider, sweeter again than strongbow but not too sweet, you can really taste the apple, too. Alcohol taste is almost non-existent, and since I don't like a strong alcohol taste, that works nicely for me. Now if only more places had it on tap...
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]
cheeseman
Servant of the Land

Post by cheeseman »

for anyone in the UK, go grab a bottle of Westons Stowford Press form Waitrose. i can almost guarantee its the best cider you'll ever taste
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Personally, I like Scrumpy Jack.

What? :oops:
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Cheeseman wrote
for anyone in the UK, go grab a bottle of Westons Stowford Press form Waitrose. i can almost guarantee its the best cider you'll ever taste
Alot of 'locals' pubs here in Cheltenham have Stowford Press on tap. Can be very dangerous - don't know if this is just a pub tale, but it was explained to me that Stowford continues to ferment in its cask, so if no-one's been drinking it for a while your pint may be very strong, but if it's a fresh cask then your pint will be weaker. Therefore I do not drink Stowford unless I have a day off work next day!

It's amusing to see the whole alcoholic range of ciders praised in this thread! Nathan's Woodpecker is probably the weekest at about 3%, Cheeseman's Old Rosie the strongest at about 8.5%. There's a beautiful old pub called the Red Lion at a place called Wainlode (?) near here that sells Old Rosie on tap. Very dangerous, as the pub is on the banks of the River Severn!! Very picturesque pub, gets pcrtuiqseu after a few Old Rosie.

My regular faves are Strongbow and Scrumpy Jack- commercial chemically crap I know, but they do taste good!!! But the best cider I ever tasted was called Broad Oak. I've only ever seen it in two pubs - in the Ancient Mariner in Nether Stowey, Somerset and in The Old Green Tree (?) in Bath.

Scrumpy Jack cans have a warning on them 'Contains Sulphur Dioxide'. Anyone know why cider should have sulphur dioxide? Isn't that the nasty stuff that causes acid rain?
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Woo-hoo just picked up some Savanna at Sainsbury's! Crap for the environment, I know, having come all the way from South Africa, but oh I can't wait for them to chill a bit!

Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

I am really not a cider fan.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

sgtnull wrote:not apple juice but hot cider. just after the apples are picked and pressed. i miss the apple orchids.
:lol:
I thought the same as you Sarge.
That this thread was about apple cider.
But no, it's about that alcoholic stuff that comes in bottles with cute little animals on it..... :roll:

I tried it, not my thing.
(The labels are cute though, I mean, who doesn't like Woodchucks?)

:P
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Sounds like the US cider industry is 20 years behind the UK- still trying to appeal to the kids! (what with the cute animals)

What they've realised over here is that if you're 15 or 16 and overdo it on cider to the point of lots of vomit (easy to do at that age), you will NEVER drink the stuff again. Nowadays the cider makers seem a bit more responsible and aim their stuff at the legal drinker! Both packaging and taste, that is.

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:
sgtnull wrote:not apple juice but hot cider. just after the apples are picked and pressed. i miss the apple orchids.
I thought the same as you Sarge.
That this thread was about apple cider.
But no, it's about that alcoholic stuff that comes in bottles with cute little animals on it..... :roll:

I tried it, not my thing.
(The labels are cute though, I mean, who doesn't like Woodchucks?)

:P
well at least someone knows what I'm talking about. :)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Reave the Unjust
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Reave the Unjust »

Argh!

Cider, my achilles heel!

I'm from Cornwall where they make some lethal scrumpy (some are actually drinkable!).

Ever since I moved to Bristol I've been spoilt for choice:

Thatchers in all it's forms.

Westons Organic Cider, Stowford Press both "fizzy pop" types; not usually my cup tea.. er, cider. (Not keen on Strongbow, Woodpecker and Blackthorn either. Must be the bubbles. And the sugar!)

There's a bar-boat on the Avon river called The Apple that serves a mad selection of cider (and Absinth!!!!!!)

Old Rosie! Yummy if you can afford it (physically and financially).

Rudely-named ones I've found include Rumpy Pumpy, Slap and Tickle, Manic Organic, and er, Up Yer Bum!
[Then there's the classic tramp drink, Cripple Cock.]

The fun thing about good cider is indoctrinating overseas visitors into the joys of the apple.
So far I've got 1 Japanese lady hooked on it (although the first time she tried it she was wrecked on 1/2 pint of Strongbow!).

1 Californian bloke now loves Westons (partial to Newcastle Brown Ale as well!).

1 North Carolina gal enjoys the Manic Organic (with some Rumpy Pumpy on the side :P ).

Countless French and German tourists will thank me for liver damage due to this lovely beverage!

Ah, don't you just love alcoholism....... :? :wink: :) :D :lol:
Last edited by Reave the Unjust on Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

The Cornish are bloody odd. ;)

--A
Reave the Unjust
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Reave the Unjust »

That is true:
Why do you think I don't live there anymore? :lol:
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Beautiful part of the country though...perhaps the most beautiful. Got some good friends in / from that part of the world.

--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

:::sigh:::

Where oh where can I find some of this stuff locally?
Mad Hatter
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Mad Hatter »

Old Rosie - mmmmm!

Strongbow - mmmmm!
"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?”

Return to “The Galley”