Best Living British Author

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Best Living British Author

Post by Avatar »

Maybe this belongs in the HP forum, but since it mentions so many others, I thought here would be a good start. Feel free to move it if you please mods.

What do we think? :lol: Nice to see Pratchett do so well though.
Rowling Named Best Living British Author

London - JK Rowling, who wrote the record-selling Harry Potter series, was named on Thursday as the greatest living British author, beating weighty talents such as Salman Rushdie and playwright Harold Pinter.

A poll by The Book Magazine collected three times as many votes for Rowling than the second-placed name on the list, fantasy writer Terry Pratchett.

Booker Prize winners Ian McEwan, Rushdie - who penned the 1988 book The Satanic Verses - and Kazuo Ishiguro came next.

They were followed by children's author Philip Pullman and Pinter, who won the 2005 Nobel Prize for literature.

Christine Kidney, editor of The Book Magazine, said: "Our survey provides a fascinating insight into what the British public thinks makes a 'great' writer.

"It shows how a writer can connect with us, as if we were the only reader in the world, and it's why books prove to be such enduringly popular objects."

Joanne Kathleen Rowling, 40, shot to literary fame and worldwide acclaim with her stories about the adventures of Potter and his friends at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Fans are eagerly awaiting the last instalment in the seven-part series.

The first six books have sold more than 300 million copies worldwide and been translated into 63 languages.

The first four have also been made into blockbuster movies.

Other entries on the list of top authors were Nick Hornby, who wrote About A Boy, and Jonathan Coe, author of The Rotters' Club alongside literary giant AS Byatt and spy writer John Le Carre.

The top 20 British authors were:

1. JK Rowling

2. Terry Pratchett

3. Ian McEwan

4. Salman Rushdie

5. Kazuo Ishiguro

6. Philip Pullman

7. Harold Pinter

8. Nick Hornby

9. AS Byatt

10. Jonathan Coe and John Le Carre

12. Doris Lessing

13. Alan Bennett

14. Iain Banks

15. Muriel Spark

16. David Mitchell

17. Martin Amis

18. Ian Rankin

19. Pat Barker and Alasdair Gray
--A
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

I love the Harry Potter series, but they have nothing on Pratchett - people are just too stupid to appreciate his work. :(
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.

Post by Avatar »

Agreed. I can't get enough of Pratchett. Hey, look, I like Rowling, sure. But greatest" author? I dunno about that.

Most popular? Sure. Most populist? Most profitable? :lol: Sure. But great? I dunno.

I've read 4 of the top 5 authors, and 3 of the others, and they certainly deserve recognition, but her as No.1?

--A
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Best Selling I think is the best descriptor, as Pratchett held the title of Best Selling Living British Author before Rowling came along.
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.

Post by Avatar »

In which case the title of the award/whatever it was is rather misleading.

--A
Marv
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Marv »

I love Pratchett! I hate Harry bloody Potter.
It'd take you a long time to blow up or shoot all the sheep in this country, but one diseased banana...could kill 'em all.

I didn't even know sheep ate bananas.
The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Laughing Man »

thats like quoting Amazon.com numbers....they just say how many searches for a book have been done, not how many have been bought, right?

Post by Avatar »

No idea Esmer. *shrug*

--A
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

It's certainly a rather popularist list. I'd like the best living British author to be sound writer technically, and neither Rowling or Pratchett (as much as I love his books) are that. I'm also disappointed to see Nick Hornby in 8th (I happily read Donaldson and yet I find Hornby's lead characters so repellent that I can't read his books) while Iain banks languishes in 14th.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.

Post by Avatar »

Banks certainly deserves better than 14th, that's for sure.

--A
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Bennett should be Number 1.

Return to “General Literature Discussion”