What are you reading in general?

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

Hiro
Giantfriend

Post by Hiro »

Avatar wrote:Any interesting insights? I never managed to like Gormenghast.

Anyway, I just read John van de Ruit's Spud, now onto Spud - The Madness Continues.

Fun, easy light reading. I need it after the week I've had.

--A
Quite a lot. It takes in all of Peake's work though, I take my hat off, the author elucidates a man's creative life, themes and project in less than 250 pages.
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Just finished Funny Girl by Nick Hornby, the guy who wrote About A Boy and High Fidelity. It was good. I really like his writing style, but it did meander a bit. I've liked every book I've read by him so far, and I'm a bit behind, so I'll savor each.
Currently reading President Me by Adam Carolla. Loved him on Loveline, hated him on the Man Show, and recently read Daddy Stop Talking! And Other Things My Kids Want But Won't Be Getting. Adored that book. This one I'm liking a bit less, but still having a lot of fun reading it. He mentions in this book that his political views between the time on Loveline in the 90s and now have moved from being more liberal to becoming conservative without him changing a single view. My ex always thought he was an asshole, and was much more leftie than me. I always thought of him as the type of comedian that was considered non-PC that I typically flocked to. It's true that in listening to the old Loveline tapes, he is what many would consider conservative these days, but I feel he usually has a pretty solid justification, and thinks about this stuff instead of just following the talking points from whatever talking head of the day. Which is why I find myself influenced by him in my political views, but also by Mojo Nixon, Jello Biafra and Robert Anton Wilson. While I don't agree 100% with any of these clowns because they all give in occasionally to their bias, they definitely seem more sensible than most political pundits. So therefore, they are my talking heads.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

i'm listening to The Expanse novels again on audible.
I actually got emotional during the scene where Holden and Miller get dosed and Miller starts thinking about his life. I told creator weepily that I wanted to holler out to Miller, I LOVE YOU MILLER! :lol:
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Spud - Exit, Pursued by a Bear. What I thought was book 3 in the series actually turned out to be book 4, but never mind. :D

--A
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Finished these, busy on Mr Nice, Howard Marks' autobiography. (Who was, funnily enough, a friend of a friend of mine.)

--A
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Collected Works of Bernard Lonergan Vol. 3: Insight: A Study of Human Understanding by Bernard Lonergan

Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Currently reading UNITE and Conquer: How to build coalitions that win--and last by Kyrsten Sinema.

[Sinema is Arizona's senior U.S. Senator]

[Edited to add the image of the book's cover]
Last edited by Cord Hurn on Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

True or Poo
the Definitive Field Guide to Filthy Animsl Facts and Falsehoods

Nick Caruso and Dani Rabaiotti
Illustrated by Ethan Kocak
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Collected Works of Bernard Lonergan Vol. 4: Collection, by Bernard Lonergan

Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Collected Works of Bernard Lonergan Vol. 5: Understanding and Being: The Halifax Lectures on Insight, by Bernard Lonergan

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Black Hammer comics.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

sgt.null wrote:Black Hammer comics.
I need to catch up on those. I've read the first 4 or 5.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Just read

Doctor Star
Quantum Age
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Collected Works of Bernard Lonergan Vol. 6: Philosophical and Theological Papers 1958-1964 by Bernard Lonergan

Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Collected Works of Bernard Lonergan Vol. 7: The Ontological and Psychological Constitution of Christ by Bernard Lonergan

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

In an unprecedented move on my part, I listened to my first audiobook a month or so ago! Of Mice and Men by Steinbeck, a good ol' classic that my son had to read for school, but he is a terrible reader, or rather, he hates reading (is it a generational thing in general?) - so we decided to listen to the audiobook (and watch the Gary Sinise version of the movie).

It's a great book! And I think I'm now sold on the audiobook format. So, in another unprecedented move by me, I am now reading two books concurrently, which is outrageous because I'm such a slow reader. But since one of them is an audiobook, I listen to that while driving, and read my fantasy novel at night.

So anyway :D I just finished listening to The Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas. Highly recommended if you like 1830s style classics about revenge!
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Am now listening to David Copperfield by Dickens. Looks like my audiobooks are going to be classics, and my actual reading is scifi/fantasy...
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

StevieG wrote:Am now listening to David Copperfield by Dickens. Looks like my audiobooks are going to be classics, and my actual reading is scifi/fantasy...
Funny thing about audiobooks that messed me up. I listened to quite a number while on the road a lot a while ago. I liked it [despite hating some of the readers voices/technique].
THEN I was listening to a book I'd read previously...and by a good reader!...
and I was CONSTANTLY distracted by "WHY THE FUCK did s/he read that THAT way???? THAT's not what it says/means!!!" "Why is that woman read like a whiny teen??? She's a fucking PRO!"
Etc. etc. etc.
So I won't listen to any book that isn't shallow/light/unimportant to me...like I'll listen to classic rock stations as long as I'm just killing time, not hoping for music.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Just finished reading 1984 for the first time!
The scene(s)
Spoiler
after he got seized
were mesmerizing / difficult to put down & not read continuously.

Not that most people here need me to spoiler the book but, hey!
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Niiice Lina ♥️

Yeah Im not yet a fan of audiobooks. I do have issues with narration voice emphasis etc. I started on years ago and loathed the readers voice .. forget now who was narrating.

For me it was a distraction I didnt need cos yeah while driving long distances and I sleep to being read to :roll: so Id get sleepy ♥️🙄

I think it is a generational thing StevieG.. sadly.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Return to “General Literature Discussion”