Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

:LOLS:

Fair's fair, right? Colonised by religion etc. :D

--A
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Joy Behar was mocking Americans for feeling that they are independent when, in her words, we are actually a nation of sheep who just do what we are told.

Is she getting confused? The Left has been trying to make us all sheep for 50 years--it's what they want.

"Wear a mask to protect other people--we are supposed to look out for our fellow citizens." Fuck my fellow citizens--it is your job to take care of you, not mine.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Obi-Wan Nihilo
Still Not Buying It

Post by Obi-Wan Nihilo »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:Joy Behar was mocking Americans for feeling that they are independent when, in her words, we are actually a nation of sheep who just do what we are told.

Is she getting confused? The Left has been trying to make us all sheep for 50 years--it's what they want.

"Wear a mask to protect other people--we are supposed to look out for our fellow citizens." Fuck my fellow citizens--it is your job to take care of you, not mine.
The irony's not lost on me.

"Be a good sheep, lose your business, lose your livelihood, wear a mask. We're all in this together." So say the people who are either wealthy or can work from home and who have nothing to lose.

Reminds me of the movie "Brazil", which is a comedic take on "1984".
Kizza
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Kizza »

If you have to file up a jetty with a crowd you will be looking for a mask, a snorkel or a defibrillator.
Never fight fair with a stranger, boy. You'll never get out of the jungle that way. - Arthur Miller

Post by Avatar »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:Fuck my fellow citizens--it is your job to take care of you, not mine.
So what about the putative social contract, community, etc?

Not to mention that it is our fellow citizens (of the world) who enable the vast majority of our lifestyle etc. Almost everything we use or consume is produced by other people. Paid for, sure, but no money will help if those people aren't there to produce it.

--A
Obi-Wan Nihilo
Still Not Buying It

Post by Obi-Wan Nihilo »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:Fuck my fellow citizens--it is your job to take care of you, not mine.
So what about the putative social contract, community, etc?

Not to mention that it is our fellow citizens (of the world) who enable the vast majority of our lifestyle etc. Almost everything we use or consume is produced by other people. Paid for, sure, but no money will help if those people aren't there to produce it.
You might have a point if this virus were particularly dangerous. Thankfully, it is not.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Avatar wrote:So what about the putative social contract, community, etc?
That is an artificial construct to which people like to cling because they cannot handle the alternative. The next time you are out and about--whenever your politicians let you be out and about--take an objectively close look at the random people around you. Do you really think they have your best interests at heart? Do you really think they give a shit about you?

Not only do I not know my neighbors' names, if you lined them up with other random people I probably couldn't tell you who my neighbors are by sight.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

I can identify three of my neighbors.
I am friendly with two of them. After
That, no idea.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Post by Avatar »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:
Avatar wrote:So what about the putative social contract, community, etc?
That is an artificial construct to which people like to cling because they cannot handle the alternative. The next time you are out and about--whenever your politicians let you be out and about--take an objectively close look at the random people around you. Do you really think they have your best interests at heart? Do you really think they give a shit about you?

Not only do I not know my neighbors' names, if you lined them up with other random people I probably couldn't tell you who my neighbors are by sight.
Oh, there's a reason I said "putative." I have a long history of disputing the validity of such a "contract." There are very few of my own neighbours I would recognise by sight.

However, even if we leave aside any implied or assumed obligation toward the well-being of your fellow man, what's the problem? If they choose to take care of themselves by wearing masks and closing their stores etc. Then that's fine.

And if the choice is "made" for you by whatever level of government, why, that's the government you collectively agreed on.

The other thing of course is that this is exactly the attitude that leads to the dissolution of societies. Which, you will recall, were formed in the first place in order to utilise the benefits of collective effort for the good of more than just a single individual.

(I would put this elsewhere, but dunno where you're see it...they're releasing a Fallout TV series.

--A
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Avatar wrote:However, even if we leave aside any implied or assumed obligation toward the well-being of your fellow man, what's the problem? If they choose to take care of themselves by wearing masks and closing their stores etc. Then that's fine.

And if the choice is "made" for you by whatever level of government, why, that's the government you collectively agreed on.

The other thing of course is that this is exactly the attitude that leads to the dissolution of societies. Which, you will recall, were formed in the first place in order to utilise the benefits of collective effort for the good of more than just a single individual.
I never have a problem with people choosing for themselves, even if I would not make the same choice. That is something I have always supported--personal choice.

The collective government making the choices for everyone--yes, because mob rule is always a good idea.

All civilizations rise, have times of trouble, fall, then rise again. The only thing that has changed is the speed with which this occurs.

Avatar wrote:(I would put this elsewhere, but dunno where you're see it...they're releasing a Fallout TV series.
I do drop in to the TV/Movies forum from time to time. It has been slow as of late because no one is going to the movies and most TV shows are pretty bad.

I wonder how this Fallout show will compare to Nuka Break, which was surprisingly well-written and well-made. It is a shame that they never could get around to season 3, though, but they did make Red Star, a solo story featuring the "I'm not a Ranger" character, James, who was a descendant of the ghoul, Ben.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

In Montgomery County, Maryland, the jail there decided to release a wanted rapist they had arrested because they would rather free a rapist than comply with an ICE request to hold the suspect until he could be transferred to their custody.

That's right--The Left thinks that "complying with immigration law" is worse than "releasing a wanted rapist back into society". That is how much they hate the United States. Good luck ever catching this guy again--he has already gotten his monitoring device removed, provided they fitted him with one in the first place.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Is Montgomery under democrat governance?
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

It is in Maryland, so the answer would be "yes".
Obi-Wan Nihilo
Still Not Buying It

Post by Obi-Wan Nihilo »

If memory serves, that was one of Obama's dumping grounds for his "unaccompanied minors" programs, and a MS-13 hotspot.

Looks like a lovely place....

Link

Link

Link
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

We in the prison system were warned
About MS-13 years before the general
Public. We saw video of their violence
That would turn your stomach.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Kizza
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Kizza »

If MS13 are your neighbours, ahem, I suggest you try moving.
Never fight fair with a stranger, boy. You'll never get out of the jungle that way. - Arthur Miller
Obi-Wan Nihilo
Still Not Buying It

Post by Obi-Wan Nihilo »

Kizza wrote:If MS13 are your neighbours, ahem, I suggest you try moving.
Explain that logic.

You've owned a home for 30 years, gangs creep into the neighborhoods. Why should you move? Shouldn't the police and the government work on it? Unfortunately, in Democrat-run areas, the race is on to protect the illegals and ignore the gangs.
Kizza
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Kizza »

Well I don't much like biker or gang culture. I admit it fascinates me, but it is not something i am going to dedicate my life to beating.
Blame whatever government you want on how they got there, but laying blame is not removing the threat.
Living somewhere happily for 30 years, and that abruptly ending......
I read the sick articles about the rape of children, all in one of Americas most affluent states. Sounds like that gangs numbers are exploding. What is being done about it?
I for one would not be waging a one man war.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Well, in my little upper-left corner, MS13 and other gangs are not a relevant threat. Situations may be different elsewhere, but my take is that it is an over-hyped boogieman threat.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

SD : MS-13 is very real.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “Coercri”