Welcome Visitors & New Members !! - Say Hello in HERE :)

Hey Newbies, over here first ;) Come on in and tell us more about yourself. IMPORTANT: For new members, please read "New Members Only" BEFORE registering.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Menolly

Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

Welcome to Kevin's Watch, Berrygirl!
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Welcome, Berrygirl!
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Be Welcome and True.

variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Hail The Newbie, urieth, The Stowned Downer and BerryGirl. Be welcome here at Kevins Watch one and all. :D

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
malinda_maloney
Stonedownor

I'm new!!!

Post by malinda_maloney »

Hey! I'm new! I strolled upon this site while I was looking for chapter summaries of The White Gold Wielder.

I bought my copy awhile ago when I was a lot younger than I am now (okay, I'm not anywhere close to being old nor do I claim to be, but, eleven seems like a long time ago), and I didn't have any money at that period of time... so when the library was selling discards for 50 cents I, of course, was extremely excited and bought all of the second chronicles and doubles of the first.

The White Gold Wielder was always the one in the saddest shape, and now, as I'm reading it, I find out it's missing seven pages. I honestly probably could read the rest without those seven pages... but... hey, I want to know what happens. :P

And this just got much longer than I intended it to be.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Hail malinda_maloney, welcome to Kevins Watch. :D

White Gold Wielder was always my favourite of the fist six books. I love chapter 19; The Sun-Sage.

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Welcome Melinda! Be sure to check out the Dissecting the Land forum (if you haven't already!)

Post by Avatar »

Welcome. Hope you have fun here. ;)

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I'm getting so bad at this lately that a feel like I'm pulling a Gollum! :P Welcome everyone! 8)
fall far and well Pilots!
ur-bane
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ur-bane »

Ahh...it has been quite a while since I have visited here.
Hello one and all, and Well come! to all those denizens of the Watch who have joined us in my absence.

It's good to be back!

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want
to test a man's character, give him power.
--Abraham Lincoln

Excerpt from Animal Songs Never Written
"Hey, dad," croaked the vulture, "what are you eating?"
"Carrion, my wayward son."
"Will there be pieces when you are done?"
Edelaith
<i>Elohim</i>

May I join in?

Post by Edelaith »

Hello everyone, I'm Edelaith.
May I join the conversation in this forum?
I have been a fan of the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant since they were first published in the late 70s, and have long sought out a messageboard in which I could discuss them with fellow fans.
I have reread the Chronicles several times, and each time I have received a different impression of what I read. My life experiences gave me new perspectives to use with each rereading.
Donaldson is a good author, and his books are good books, his characters are interesting, his plots interesting, and I just thought there was an awful lot of material worth discussing.
Mind if I join in the discussion?

Edelaith
onewyteduck
The Gap Into Spam

Post by onewyteduck »

:welcome:

Hi Edelaith. Glad to see you here!
Be kind to your web-footed friends, for a duck may be somebody's mother.
Edelaith
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Edelaith »

A pleasure to meet you, onewyteduck.
It is really great to find a forum like this.
It is really great to find fellow fans of the Chronicles like you, to talk with. :)

I have wanted for many years to sit and discuss the Chronicles. I just want to talk about the characters and events in them: it's a fascinating topic for me.
I like to go into What Ifs, and Why Nots. Hypotheticals. The Should and Could as well as the Would and Did.
There are so many such Should and Could situations in the Chronicles that did not end in Would and Did, that I can't shake a stick at all of them.
I will be the first to state much of the Chronicles went over my head when I read them, and still go over my head today.
I would be pretty arrogant to say I had a comprehensive grasp of the Chronicles. As I accumulate life experiences, I have come to better comprehend what I have been reading and rereading, though. Sometimes I have been shocked at just how differently certain passages come off to me now, compared to 20 years ago when I first read them.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Um, say, Edelaith, haven't we seen you around these parts before? ;)

I guess you're just officially saying hello, so hello and welcome to the Watch! :)

Post by Avatar »

Be welcome and True.

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Welcome!
Dave Tubamate
Woodhelvennin

Hello all.

Post by Dave Tubamate »

Hello all.

I've read the TC Chronicles more times than any other book - but I think that's partly because they are an easy read in the sense that I don't have to think about them too hard. Great narrative great characters.

So I wouldn't say they where my favourite books although probably my favourite fantasy equally with LOTR.

My favourite book, at the moment, would probably be one of Dickens and could be one of several probably Bleak House. Also Umberto Eco's Focault's Pendulum - now there's a plot which takes some working out!

Just finished The Runes and felt it to be equal to the second chronicles but not better and I preferred the first chronicles - always slightly peeved when Linden got involved. TC is my man.

Anyway there's a bit of a ramble and look forward to joining in the fun (although I have been lurking for a while!).

Dave Tubamate.
Dave Tubamate.

Post by Avatar »

Glad you've decided to come aboard Dave, hope you have a lot of fun here. Plenty to talk and think about. Don't be shy, just jump right in. ;)

Loved Focault's Pendulum by the way, have you read any of his others? Name of the Rose is excellent as well.

Dave Tubamate
Woodhelvennin

Hi Avatar

Post by Dave Tubamate »

Avatar wrote:Loved Focault's Pendulum by the way, have you read any of his others? Name of the Rose is excellent as well.

Hi Avatar - yes indeed The Name of the Rose and The island of the Day before (or whatever it's called). I love the complexity of Eco's stories and the historical stuff.

Perhaps in another forum it would be a challenge to try and explain the plot of Focault's Pendulum - I tried it once and it ain't easy :?
Dave Tubamate.

Post by Avatar »

That's what the General Literature forum is for, under the Library. By all means, start a topic, although I'd have to re-read it to do it justice, (or even be reasonably intelligent about it), it's been a couple of years. ;)

Serendipities, short little book on linguistics, IIRC, was fun too.

I'm outta here for today though, catch you later,

Return to “The Summonsing”