Anything after MN?

"Reflect" on Stephen Donaldson's other epic fantasy

Moderator: Cord Hurn

Would you like to see Volume III of MN?

Leave it, it's done
36%
Yes
25%
write a book about Darsint's world, instead?
11%
don't care
No votes
O my groin!
11%
O my groin!
11%
Prequel
5%

Total votes: 44

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

You don't have to; go to Dissecting the Land when we start to take Runes chapter by chapter starting June 1st--then just add your thoughts--spoilers tags are required there! 8)
fall far and well Pilots!
___
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ___ »

I would like to take this moment to personally thank Mr. George Lucas for the zero vote on the 'prequal' option. :biggrin:
When the man with a 45 meets the man with a rifle, you said the man with a pistol is a dead man. Let's see if it's true.
Torrent
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Torrent »

Oh, but don't you want to see six-year-old Berek win the big Rhanyhyn race? 8)
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Or Ravers Mom saying, "Now Samadhi we don't go around setting fire to Gilden trees, they'll be no blood and cookies for you tonight!" :biggrin:
Last edited by danlo on Tue May 16, 2006 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fall far and well Pilots!
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

If George Lucas's SW prequels actually somehow manage to inspire someone to make a Mordant or Chronicles prequel movie, then I'm afraid I will have to personally strangle Lucas.

"Mr. Lucas, I have revered you, but now I realize all you've done is to inspire others to put out crap."
DirectorDios
<i>Elohim</i>

Fly in the Ointment

Post by DirectorDios »

Well I love the speculation and all, but as I'm sure many of you have read in the GI on SRD's site that of ALL his stories, the Mordant novels feel the "most complete" was the term I think SRD used in describing his thoughts on the chances of another set of stories set in Mordant. The chances of a sequel I would say then are about a billion to one.
That being said...it would be great wouldn't it?!?!?
It’s a moral imperative.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I'd read it. :D

--A
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

You know, all this time I never voted in the poll. Situation rectified. I wouldn't mind reading a story set in Darsint's universe.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

well, I don;t think he should continue writing in that land. having said that, I would of course read anything SRD puts out...
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Krilly
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Krilly »

I'm with the "complete" crowd. It's over and done, BUUUUT I would love to read more about the world nonetheless.

I wouldn't mind a prequel sort of thing, but with entirely new characters and scenarios (maybe a couple cameos or references). It would explain how the act of Imagery came to be and why it's there.
surrender
Stonedownor

Yes!

Post by surrender »

i voted to see another! i really fell in love with MN and would absoloutely die for another! prequil or not! it would be awesome to see how Terisa lives out her life in Mordant, and what other obstacles come her way! i just think that it would be a really amazing thing to see because there are loose ends, questions that are still asked and another book to revisit those questions would be sooooo awesome! these two books drew me into the fantasy world of Stephen R. Donaldson, and now im trapped, and have no interest in finding a way out!

-s-
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Yes!

Post by A Gunslinger »

surrender wrote:i voted to see another! i really fell in love with MN and would absoloutely die for another! prequil or not! it would be awesome to see how Terisa lives out her life in Mordant, and what other obstacles come her way! i just think that it would be a really amazing thing to see because there are loose ends, questions that are still asked and another book to revisit those questions would be sooooo awesome! these two books drew me into the fantasy world of Stephen R. Donaldson, and now im trapped, and have no interest in finding a way out!

-s-
I'll have to read this someday.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
surrender
Stonedownor

Post by surrender »

you havent read them???? they are amazing!!!!!!!

-s-
i just roll my eyes and make a beeline for the door but i always end up starryeyed crosslegged on the floor, hanging onto every word. MAN the things i heard!

-----you surrender all to the world around you, i surrender all to the One who created it.-----
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

Amazing? Well they are certainly good, but I remember that I found the first book very slow going at first.
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
rusmeister
The Gap Into Spam

Post by rusmeister »

It's hard to see any continuation that would be satisfying. A prequel would have a better chance. I'm with Krilly. I'd love to read more about the world.

I did mostly love these books, but the psychoanalyzing that everybody engaged in seemed over the top. But the characters are so well-drawn and the plots-within plots so effectively written (and mesh well) that this is a must-read for people tired of mere Tolkienesque copy-cats while still enjoying the genre.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

Amazing? Well they are certainly good, but I remember that I found the first book very slow going at first.
Yes, Rtzel, it is true that the first quarter (perhaps) may be slow for some (certainly my wife), but this is laying the ground-work for what happens after. And once the sh!t hits the fan, BOY does it really grab you and nearly never lets go. There are some amazing characters in this story!

Most writers give you action right away, not laying the groundwork for any emotional reprecussions you should feel for the charcters in these situations. But SRD gives you all the peices almost right away (well, 150 pages in anyway), then lets everything else just fall in around it.

It is one of the most beautiful and exciting stories I have read.
Treat yourself Gunslinger!
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Tjol
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Tjol »

You know the tough thing about a good self contained story is... well it's complete, so it's hard to add onto, and on top of that, what if a word added ruins it all?

I would like more stories of this quality, and maybe visitations of specific characters before or after, and that's why I voted for maybe a story of Darsint's world instead. I would enjoy reading more of the post or prestory, as long as it didn't do any harm to the original. :)
"Humanity indisputably progresses, but neither uniformly nor everywhere"--Regine Pernoud

You work while you can, because who knows how long you can. Even if it's exhausting work for less pay. All it takes is the 'benevolence' of an incompetant politician or bureaucrat to leave you without work to do and no paycheck to collect. --Tjol

Return to “Mordant's Need”