Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

LMAO!

Looks worth a watch, though I'll probably wait for it on DVD. Or TV. :D

--A
ItisWritten
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ItisWritten »

wayfriend wrote:Outlander should be out soon...
As an age old battle rages amongst the stars, Kainan's ship burns brightly as it crashes into the Nordic coast. As his space craft comes to rest in the fjords of ancient Norway, it's with dismay that Kainan realizes that he wasn't the only survivor. A second passenger, a Moorwen also emerges from the wreckage. A Fierce and animal-like creature, the Moorwen is intent on causing harm to those it perceives have wronged it. As the Moorwen kills everything in its path, Kainan must work together with the Vikings to destroy the beast before it destroys them all.
At the risk of simplifying this description, Outlander sounds like another version of the Beowulf tale. Still, I want to root for any good science fiction. Is this?
ItisWritten
taraswizard
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by taraswizard »

Stardust, not really recent because it was out last summer, and may not fit into the SciFi definition, was very, very good and I enjoyed it alot. Clone Wars was better than many other Star Wars texts (PM, AotC, RotS).
Allan Rosewarne
taraswizard Essence of Amber
Buffy fans Chicago
W/T they are forever
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Stardust was excellent, but not really sci-fi.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Babylon AD is coming out ... doesn't sound like it qualifies as 'good' tho. Still, the genre is not dead.
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Oh yeah, I enjoyed Stardust :) But it's too much like The Princess Bride to really satisfy my craving.

I haven't gotten around to seeing the last few Star Trek films (First Contact was the last one I saw), maybe I'll go watch those and see how they are...
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

The best Sci-fi movie of the decade is to me, without contest, Children of Men. Actually, It might be my favorite movie of the decade, in addition to being one of the most technically spellbinding movies of all time. (the 20 minute shot during the huge battle at the end of the movie was literally jaw dropping.)
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Children of Men was excellent. I'll have to look at the other sci-fi films of the last decade before I agree with you, but it's certainly top 5 material.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

Another great sci-fi movie that isn't remembered quite as fondly as I feel it should be is Minority Report. It's a masterfully done movie, but I guess Spielberg makes excellence seem too easy.

Another Phillip K. Dick adaptation, A Scanner Darkley, really seemed to sneak under most people's radar, but I thought it was fantastic. (And, to date, the best adaption Dick has gotten, if not the best movie adapted from a Phillip K. Dick story.)
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Minority Report was excellent. I didn't see A Scanner Darkly, and I'm not sure why....I love the story.

The best Dick adaptation I've seen has been Screamers. It's a shame it didn't have a bigger budget.

Return to “Flicks”