Welcome Visitors & New Members !! - Retired Topic.

Hey Newbies, over here first ;) Come on in and tell us more about yourself. IMPORTANT: For new members, please read "New Members Only" BEFORE registering.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Menolly

Prince of Amber
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Prince of Amber »

Robocop is one of them, but I don't recall it being said in Robocop 2, I could be wrong but its not the one I'm thinking of. Well done for spotting that Vain. Anyone know the other one?
Here's a clue, another quote from the same film - 'Fill your hands you sons of bitches'
Last edited by Prince of Amber on Fri Nov 29, 2002 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is also Love in the World.
Prince of Amber
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Prince of Amber »

Hi Onions

I wouldn't suggest that you continue with the books if you found them getting more and more depressing. At the end of the day I think you should enjoy reading them and it sounds like you weren't. I've often found that I just don't have the necessary language skills to express how uplifting I find the Chronicles, particularly the 2nd, for me the light brighter at the end of the tunnel when ALL the lights in it have been switched off. The 2nd Chronicles read more like one big book rather than the semi-separate 1st three books, so you may find them easier to get through (but watch out of The Wounded Land it really is the darkness before dawn). The end of the 1st Chronicles is a Magnificent realisation of the age old battle of good against evil, its never been done better IMO

During my many readings of these books I've laughed, cried and jumped for joy, I 've shook my fist at Despite and marvelled at the wonder of Giants. I always recommend the Chronicles to anyone looking for the best in Fantasy writing but I know they can be really heavy going.

If you do continue to read them all, please let us know how you are getting on, it'll be great to see them trough the eyes of a first time reader. Good luck :)
Last edited by Prince of Amber on Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is also Love in the World.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

The Chronicles (especially the 2nd) are the Cadburry Eggs of Fantasy. Delicious, gooey, and sticky, but some people find them too rich.

Personally, I've never understood it. At least the books don't have tinfoil wrapping to contend with.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I've made a few posts on here now, so I may as well let you all know a bit about me. I'm 22, male and live in London (England). I first found SRD about five years ago, when a guy I moved in with at university was reading Chaos and Order. I read that, and my friend was rather surprised that I was able to pick up the story at that point. I then went on to read A Dark and Hungry God Arises, then [/i]Forbidden Knowledge and The Real Story at the same time before finally getting down toThis Day... I then read the whole series in the correct order before moving on to Reave the Just.

Over the past eight months, I have read both of the Chronicles. This is, admittedly, quite a long time, but it's worth noting that the Second Chronicles took at least five months of that time. I found them to be rather heavy going, and broke off to read several more light-hearted books (the Hitchhikers Guide 'trilogy, a few Discworld books and the superb Things my Girlfriend and I have argued about by Mil Millington). I'm part way through the second Reed Stephens book, and am about to start on Mordant's Need.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Navarino wrote:I'm 22, male and live in London (England).
Thanks for introduction, Navarino, hope you enjoy your time here. I may not have explained who I was too well when I first turned up.

I'm Kev (hence the handle), Melbourne (city of 3 million), Australia, though grew up in town of about 200. I'm 32 and have been married 2 and a half years to an American (Californian) missus.
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Yep, I forgot the formal intro as well.

Hey, I'm Jack. 25, married (and yes, it *had* to be a white gold wedding ring), from Reno, NV, but living in Illinois until February when the wife and kid and I are going to Sicily. I'm in the Navy, going on 5 years, been a linguist and an electronics tech.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Heh ... I don't have a wedding ring, good idea though, should ask for white. The one I got my wife is a combination of white and normal gold.
Zahir al-Daoud

Introducing Self

Post by Zahir al-Daoud »

Hullo.

The name is Zahir al-Daoud. Or at least that's my "nom de net" based on my name for middle eastern dancing. Yes, men do it--and some of us are even straight!

I got introduced to Thomas Covenant in college (initially, someone I didn't like went on and on about how depressing the books were and how the hero was a whiner). Personally methinks they're the best fantasy series I've ever read. Other faves include <i>Hart's Hope</i> by Orson Scott Card. Meanwhile, I've read nearly all of Donaldson's other works and been just about as impressed.

Right now I live in LA and am engaged. I wanted a white gold ring but Colleen (my fiancee) wants simple yellow gold. *sigh*

Until I get publish some work online (am working on a space opera), my job is telephone fund-raising for non-profits. Hmmmmm...am a Sagitarius born in the Year of the Pig. Make of that what you will. Heh heh heh.

Looking forward in really huge way to talking about the Chronicles!
Cloudberry

Post by Cloudberry »

I can't believe I found a site where people actually like the Chronicles! :D
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

be welcome .. welcome and true Onion Navarino Sylvanus Cloudberry and Zahir ... all!!!!

wow we're certainly been multiplying .. like rabbits even .. of late!!!! :mrgreen:

tis a grand site!! where most also think the chrons are the best fantasy series ever!! .. and most also believe SRD is a genius .. and some of us revere him as a God!!

well a little extreme maybe .. but gotta call a spade a spade :wink: .. and Donaldson is definitely quite THE creator ..

I am sure he would hate to be defined thus .. but he has called himself a creator more than once .. when speaking of the chrons in particular.

He is undoubtedly a genius .. as his work attests

anyway y'all have come to the right place to discuss TCTC .. and all the works of Donaldson ..

be welcome all .. your presence honours his literary creations ..
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

By jabberin' on about his writings we return honour to the writer? 8)
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

you bet you do! :mrgreen:

what author wouldn't be honoured by the creation of a fan-site devoted to his works??

Many authors create them for themselves .. ie Orson Scott Card - Hatrack.com ... even .. :wink: :wink:
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

If I were an author [God help us!] I wouldnt make a personal fan site!
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

having read some of your stuff .. I dont think we need God's help to believe that possibility .. very good stuff! :P

tho' I am curious .. would you create a personal fan site to spare your fans from doing so? or primarily to make sure you get one???? :wink: :wink: :P LOL

j/k :razz :wink: :wink:
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Post by Guest »

Greetings, newbie here, but you can call me Guardian. No, not THAT guardian, Brinn was entirely lame compared to Bannor or Korik. :P *duck*

I just finished reading both Chronicles straight through for the third time. Every once in a decade I'm just sadistically driven to to so. :)

When I finished WGW, I was thinking "damn, I wonder if there's any fanfic?" (see: classic withdrawl syndrome) Turns out there isn't. Well, at least not anything complete (couMHORHAMgh). Hence my stumbling on this most excellent site.

I've been a SLD fan since about '82. I devoured the first trilogy, and waited in earnest for each of the second to appear in paperback. I own 'em all.

The Mordant books I confess I didn't really care for, but when the Gap Cycle hit, you better believe it I was right there buying each one up as it came out. In many ways I consider it Donaldson's crown, vs Covenant merely his throne.

Well, thats enough spewage for an intro, ain't it? Stone and Sea! 8O
Guardian
Servant of the Land

Post by Guardian »

uh, yeah, did I mention I'm long-winded too?

Hi, my name is Guardian, and I'm a Donaldson fan. (see above)

:)
Lumikant
Stonedownor

Post by Lumikant »

welcome to the humble kevins watch board
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

welcome Guardian .. good to have you on board!!! :wink: :wink:

come and take your rightful place in the hall of SRD fans!!
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

:razz lol

You humble me, Sky!
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

Anonymous wrote:
The Mordant books I confess I didn't really care for, but when the Gap Cycle hit, you better believe it I was right there buying each one up as it came out. In many ways I consider it Donaldson's crown, vs Covenant merely his throne.
So you did not care for the Mordant books? I actually found them lighter than the chronicles. (Which I think maybe I will read again for christmas.)
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot

Return to “The Summonsing”