!!SPOILERS!! AATE complete novel discussion !!SPOILERS!!

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

shinnok
Stonedownor

Post by shinnok »

Her fate is worse than death. If you needed to include this plot, why not throw Kevin Landwaster in? - and why didn't she teleport back to where ever it is the dead go when they disappear? It's the one point I really disliked about the story.. .I really liked Elena way back when I first read the Illearth War.
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

I have a bid in on an ARC...while I have been gone from here a long while because of family life, I intend to return with AATE...hopefully I get the ARC! This thread has certainly whetted my appetite...
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

rdhopeca wrote:I have a bid in on an ARC...while I have been gone from here a long while because of family life, I intend to return with AATE...hopefully I get the ARC! This thread has certainly whetted my appetite...
Welcome back!! Where have you been?
The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

He just beat a nasty Foursquare addiction...
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

that, and a lot of family stuff, job stuff, two toddlers at home...something had to give for a while...
Rob

rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

also, my bid for the ARC just won out! $55 and in the mail baybee!
Rob

shinnok
Stonedownor

Post by shinnok »

Congrats! Your going to enjoy it.
Madadeva
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Madadeva »

Congrats!!
thranathiril
Woodhelvennin

She who must not be named - clue

Post by thranathiril »

read these spoilers (couln't help myself as I wait eagerly for AATE). Browsing around Wikipedia today I came across this little snipppet, which I do not remember from the Second Chronicles -

There is also a third story told by the Clave, according to which the World was created as a prison for a-Jeroth "Of the Seven Hells" (an alternative title for Lord Foul) after he seduced the Creator's spouse.

I wonder if this is the identity of SWMNBN.
shinnok
Stonedownor

Post by shinnok »

You're pretty close. A-Jeroth is the Insequent's name for Lord Foul. According to AATE, there is an element of truth in all the Land's creation stories.
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

shinnok wrote:Her fate is worse than death. If you needed to include this plot, why not throw Kevin Landwaster in? - and why didn't she teleport back to where ever it is the dead go when they disappear? It's the one point I really disliked about the story.. .I really liked Elena way back when I first read the Illearth War.
I had a friend once who kept a python as a pet. I once watched her feed the python. She dropped a mouse into its cage.

I will never forget the sheer and complete terror that transformed that poor mouse when it locked eyes with the python.

That's the image that came to mind (and continues to do so) as I read this part of the story.
Rob

Romeo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Romeo »

So ... was anyone else waiting for Stave to say "because I love her" when Covenant asked why he wouldn't let Linden leave his sight?

kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19183

:-)
And then the ravens pecked out his eyes.
Madadeva
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Madadeva »

Haruchai are repressed!! :biggrin:

Then of course ... perhaps he wants a threesome with him, Linden, and Covenant!! :lol:
SSCinLA
Servant of the Land

Post by SSCinLA »

Well, I've read my ARC edition twice now...going to go on to the third time... (Yes, I too am going to buy the hardcover so that SRD gets his $$$$...probably will aslo buy the audio CDs)

Finally, this series feels like SRD of old. Books 1 & 2 made me wonder if SRD had lost his touch. Yes, I loved the books, but they didn't entrance me in the way that the 1st and 2nd chronicles did.

I always liked Linden in the 2nd chronicles and in these last chronicles it just didn't sound like Linden...it wasn't her voice. Yes she has been and is whiny and yes, I yes, I didn't like some of her choices, but it just didn't seem like her. Now, it feels like SRD has recaptured his writing mojo.

Where to start on questions/discussion? Hmmm....

Find deep rock...set up a forbidding...sounds like there is a way to stop the worm, no?

Did the Ranyhyn with Covenant die? (I know it isn't necessarily germane, but well, I don't want them to die...)

In some sense Jerimiah is a kind of creator....discuss

Roger already gave hints on how Foul could be trapped, right? maybe?

What do you all think about Covenant sealing the cracks in his memory, essentially returnign him to a mortality that does not include memories that would violate the necessity of freedom?

I'm bored with Roger...he causes havoc, yes, but neither his redemption or his destruction holds any interest to me. Covenant didn't neglect him. Roger's anger at Covenant for 'neglect' is against someone he doesn't know...Covenant as a symbol of Roger's neglect holds no new learnings.

Okay, there are more discussion items, but this is enough of a quick scattershot.

Cheers!

Steve
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Romeo wrote:So ... was anyone else waiting for Stave to say "because I love her" when Covenant asked why he wouldn't let Linden leave his sight?

kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19183

:-)

:lol: YES! i was!
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Madadeva
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Madadeva »

Hmmmm .... lots of discussions about Diassomer Mininderain - I had thought she was Kastenessens squeeze - but perhaps she is the real name of She Who Must Not Be Named.

What do you all think?
shinnok
Stonedownor

Post by shinnok »

Madadeva wrote:Hmmmm .... lots of discussions about Diassomer Mininderain - I had thought she was Kastenessens squeeze - but perhaps she is the real name of She Who Must Not Be Named.

What do you all think?
I haven't re-read the Arc but that's what I remember...
I think the Worm will be stopped by a combination of a Forbidden and some kind of trap...right now the heroes are stacked - 2 rings, the staff and the krill. Starting to look like a Warcraft expedition.

One more thing - why didn't Kastenessen fall in the trap?
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

Madadeva wrote:Hmmmm .... lots of discussions about Diassomer Mininderain - I had thought she was Kastenessens squeeze - but perhaps she is the real name of She Who Must Not Be Named.

What do you all think?
I think Donaldson should have placed an answer with that reference in the spoilers page of the GI. If there isn't an AATE spoilers page yet, then there should be.
shinnok wrote:I haven't re-read the Arc but that's what I remember...
I think the Worm will be stopped by a combination of a Forbidden and some kind of trap...right now the heroes are stacked - 2 rings, the staff and the krill. Starting to look like a Warcraft expedition.

One more thing - why didn't Kastenessen fall in the trap?
The Worm issue will be Linden's greatest test thus far. She has been tested all along, not necessarily for this end, but this one has become a necessary chore. I can't say who is primarily testing her, but different forces (mostly enemies) out there have different motives.

Setting the Worm back to rest will not only be Linden's greatest accomplishment since healing the Sunbane, it will set right a lot of wrongs she has ham-handedly committed through her unwieldy use of power.

I don't know what you mean by "the heroes are stacked." Nobody is even acting like a hero, that is, a person who transcends the limits of normal humanness in order to achieve something for the greater good. Even Linden has simple selfish motives. And in my spoilered comment below, Linden explains to Covenant that she is not the one who saves the world, she only wants to save her son.

I would agree that the weapons of power are "stacked" (?). (I don't play WoW.) Now we just need a third white gold ring to make things really interesting. But my belief has been that Roger will end up with his mother's ring. I see now that that is not very exciting, it would be even better if he somehow in the end managed to acquire Linden/Covenant's ring, or even both rings and the SoL.
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
spoonchicken
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by spoonchicken »

To Hell with putting the Worm back to sleep.....I want to see the Earth destroyed, and then get to see how our heores survive that, and then put the universe back together again
"Who enters here, do not lose hope / Who leaves; do not rejoice / Who has not been, shall be here yet / Who has been here, shall never forget" Anonymous / discovered scratched into the wall of a cell in the KGB's Lefortovo Prison in Moscow/originally quoted in the book "Alexander Dolguns Story" (by A.Dolgun),describing the ordeals of an American citizen falsely imprisoned by the Soviet Union from 1948 to 1957.
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

spoonchicken wrote:To Hell with putting the Worm back to sleep.....I want to see the Earth destroyed, and then get to see how our heores survive that, and then put the universe back together again
I've speculated about that too. But then there is Linden's vision at the beginning of ROTE. In this vision Linden witnessed the destruction of Andelain, and also, the Worm.

I take this vision to be a prophecy of things to come. (The destruction of Andelain by skurj was also foredoomed by the burning down of Covenant's farmhouse.) I also suspect that Linden is going to do more than engage in a stare-down contest with the Worm.
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo

Return to “Against All Things Ending”