Fear

Free discussion of anything human or divine ~ Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality

Moderators: Xar, Fist and Faith

Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

That ...sure sounds hard, sure sounds like the kind of situation that would convince a gal that a tough cynicism is the safest approach.

All I'm gonna say right now is...

|G
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

aliantha wrote:
StevieG wrote:The biggest reason I'm still at my current job (12 years now!), as personally unfulfilling as it is, is that I'm afraid to leave and find myself in another bitch-on-wheels situation. So yeah, I'd rather put up with it for another 8 years (and write stories, hoping I can make enough money to retire sooner) than start looking for another job. :roll:
I don't mean to say that what follows is true for you as it is for me, but I thought it was worth sharing a thought that this post provoked. I find that my job is fulfilling when I'm doing it, but when I look back on it in retrospect and evaluate what I've done, it is unsatisfying. Only in the present do I find that I'm doing something worthwhile. There's too much second-guessing when I'm out of that present to allow for confidence and pride in my work when I'm at home.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

That sucks, Holsety. :( No, my job isn't even particularly fulfilling when I'm doing it. I do zero writing and very little editing, and my work involves almost no intellectual stimulation. Plus I spend a lot of time running interference with the Finance Department, whose language I neither speak nor have much interest in learning, and gods know they don't speak mine. :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

aliantha wrote:That sucks, Holsety. :( No, my job isn't even particularly fulfilling when I'm doing it. I do zero writing and very little editing, and my work involves almost no intellectual stimulation. Plus I spend a lot of time running interference with the Finance Department, whose language I neither speak nor have much interest in learning, and gods know they don't speak mine. :lol:
Actually, it's really not that bad...I do intake on a hotline, so I get to talk to a lot of people about their situations and even though it oftentimes runs into pretty similar stories, there's enough variety in personalities to keep me interested in each call.

But I can't really be sure whether our work makes a difference, because I only schedule people with other units that appraise if they're eligible for pro bono work and we don't follow up with advised (unrepresented) clients. And there is the perspective with some cases about whether a difference should be made; it's just not really my call to judge that in any case.
Linna Heartbooger

Holsety- wow, that sounds like a cool organization to me. My first job out of college was customer service / third-party verification for phone service. And I'd say the main problem was that I was unwilling to "toot my own horn" and admit that I could actually be competent and do stuff*.

Otoh, that place had one of the clearest, most consistent sets of workplace boundaries I'd ever seen, and I grew from that.

Anyways, um, you gonna post an "i have found gainful employment" post on the unemployment thread so we can celebrate ya?
:letsparty:
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Linna Heartbooger

Stevie G.- guess what? I'm thinking the "sometimes you just gotta say wtf?" is an example of "taking an action before you lose your nerve."
And that's lookin' to be darned useful to me!
Thanks.
-Flannery O'Connor

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

aliantha wrote:I do zero writing and very little editing, and my work involves almost no intellectual stimulation.
And I typed 30,000 keystrokes yesterday. Probably average about 20k usually, up to 35K on busy days. Yep...my job involves plenty of writing. (And plenty of intellectual stimulation, for which I am extremely grateful.)

--A
Linna Heartbooger

Btw, this thread "went quiet" for a bit...

I've been thinking about what some of my major solutions are. Here are some of the biggies, as far as "cognitive" solutions:

1. Making lists
(Unlike King Joyse's queen from Mordant's Need, I do NOT know my own mind. So I use lists of relevant data to track my evasive actions and search them for patterns.)
2. Reading relevant books.
(but sometimes this backfires if I don't DO what I find in them)
3. Taking care of myself / pampering myself.

I would love to expound on this / share some of my lists if people are interested. ;) (i.e. 'I'm dying to - just gimme the "go," someone.')
-Flannery O'Connor

Gadget nee Jemcheeta
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gadget nee Jemcheeta »

Linna, Go!

I am doing well in school and that is because I am terrified of failure now in a way I wasn't before. It is my motivating factor, but I can tell it's sort of damaging. Oh well, after I get the degree I can get the therapy to fix it? :)
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Linna, go! I'd be very interested in your thoughts. :)

Catching up a bit... Ali, thankyou for being honest about your fears - there are some people on the watch that write with no fear. You're one of them. A few others spring to mind. I know that everybody has fears, but not everyone wants to share them. It sounds like a real bugger of a fear, or defense mechanism, that is comfortable not to release... I hope you find a way around it (if you want to of course).
Linna Heartlistener wrote:Stevie G.- guess what? I'm thinking the "sometimes you just gotta say wtf?" is an example of "taking an action before you lose your nerve."
And that's lookin' to be darned useful to me!
Thanks.
Glad to hear it Linna! It is a phrase that can help me a lot at times. I had a minor set back today in a social situation. I'd been up late and was lacking a little sleep, and went to a child's birthday party. I didn't really want to be there, and wasn't that keen on making conversation. But as I continued, I found that I started becoming scared of making conversation - same old story, just like the bad old days. I found myself chanting the mantra of wtf, and it did help a little. It can be a battle at times, but these tests need to be conquered! It is all too easy to slip into old habits, and start doubting yourself.
jemCheeta wrote:I am doing well in school and that is because I am terrified of failure now in a way I wasn't before. It is my motivating factor, but I can tell it's sort of damaging. Oh well, after I get the degree I can get the therapy to fix it? :)
Indeed! Fear of failure has been mentioned before, and remains a large reason for fear. It is a driving force and a strangler also. I wish you all the best in the degree, and hope that the driving force is the winner!
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Thanks, StevieG -- and I forgot to thank you before, Linna. 8)

Linna, when I'm in a situation in which I'm dithering over doing something -- not necessarily fear-based dithering, but I think it could work for that, as well -- I'll finally get fed up with myself and say, "This is ridiculous," and just do it. It's the next cousin, I think, to "WTF", and it might be easier for you to say to yourself if you don't want to say the f-word (even in your head ;) ).

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Shaun das Schaf »

deleted
Last edited by Shaun das Schaf on Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linna Heartbooger

aliantha wrote:Thanks, StevieG -- and I forgot to thank you before, Linna. 8)

Linna, when I'm in a situation in which I'm dithering over doing something -- not necessarily fear-based dithering, but I think it could work for that, as well -- I'll finally get fed up with myself and say, "This is ridiculous," and just do it. It's the next cousin, I think, to "WTF", and it might be easier for you to say to yourself if you don't want to say the f-word (even in your head ;) ).
Thanks for thinking about & trying to be sensitive to my sense of restraint w/ words (or whatever it is?), ali. :)

Actually, I do say it in my head, usually mostly-unconsciously, and often directed at myself. (not what you were looking for - or what I was looking for when I stumbled upon this phenomenon!)

I've been trying to uncover times when I use that word, and especially the S-word ("stupid") and re-phrase stuff.
I've said it out loud in counselling; first when quoting someone; perhaps again later in a conversation where it seemed relevant or I found myself wanting to say it.

Btw, still trying to find a list I wrote down a couple months/weeks ago... :) if I can't find it, I'll maybe share another, more recent one.
-Flannery O'Connor

Post by Avatar »

JemCheeta wrote:Linna, Go!

I am doing well in school and that is because I am terrified of failure now in a way I wasn't before. It is my motivating factor, but I can tell it's sort of damaging. Oh well, after I get the degree I can get the therapy to fix it? :)
A JemCheeta sighting! :D

--A
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I know, right? I didn't want to say anything, tho, for fear of scaring him away...

Hi, JemCheeta! :wave:

EZ Board Survivor

Linna Heartbooger

In response to "Go!," you guys get a list of kinds of lists I've found useful. :biggrin:

(there's the one I was looking for! Names have been eliminated to protect the innocent!)
Stuff I'm avoiding:
  • Getting things fully cleaned-up (kitchen, table)
    Going outside?!?
    Really listening to people (hubby, his brothers, my older kiddo)
    Cooking
    Planning
    Sending [sis] her gift
    Reading "From the Soil"
    Calling dad
    Learning Chinese
    Staying on task w/ things [task completion]
    Monday Night Group?
    Calling people?
    Mailing people about [joining me in a volunteering thing]
    Asking [hubby] for help
Sighh... I'm realizing that the big, long list of list types (below) can look stressful; I feel anxiety just looking at it. Therefore I will spoiler it. ;)
Spoiler
Reasons why I don't want to do something.
  • (I ripped this one off of the book "Simple Hospitality.")
    Lists answering the questions:
    • Spoiler
      What do I want to do?
      What do I want to be?
      What do I want to have?
      Whom do I want to help?
    (these next ones I ripped off of Flylady.net and modified)
    Lists answering these questions:
    • Spoiler
      What am I thinking?
      What is better?
    The more common and traditional:
    • Spoiler
      Wish list
      Task list
      List of goals for 1 year from now, written in the present tense.
      (the last one snagged from "Eat that Frog")
I know I'm not really responding to anyone else's thoughts yet on this post; I just sorta recognized I really wanted to talk about myself and what stuff I've found. :)
-Flannery O'Connor

Linna Heartbooger

Having trouble with fear of failure again. For the last couple of weeks, I've mostly not been taking the initiative involving tutoring opportunities.

I'm also in a mode where if I fail one little bit, I tend to try to "prove" that I'm having a complete failure by making myself fail completely. (I think this is usually partially from wanting to hide from the failure. I don't know though.)

It's sort of rotten how I am letting this problem take me for a ride. Don't know what "the deal" is...
-Flannery O'Connor

Post by Avatar »

Failure isn't the end of the world you know.

--A
Linna Heartbooger

Avatar wrote:Failure isn't the end of the world you know.
Or maybe I don't know!

So yeah, I think that's it... though maybe I just tend to feel that failure means...
the end of me!
-Flannery O'Connor

Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Shaun das Schaf »

Avatar wrote:Failure isn't the end of the world you know.

--A
What if it was your job to save the world and you didn't succeed? Hmm? Hmm?

Return to “The Close”