First Visit

Hey Newbies, over here first ;) Come on in and tell us more about yourself. IMPORTANT: For new members, please read "New Members Only" BEFORE registering.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Menolly

MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Okay, you cracked me the heck up, Shaun. :D

:haha:
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Poider
Stonedownor

Post by Poider »

And p.s. I can't remember, is Poider a Fast Forward creation?

Yes Shaun the mullet wearing, Esky carrying, Thong (footwear for our overseas friends) wearing, Beer drinking yobbo. played by a young Eric Bana
Peter
It is better to have tried and failed then to have failed to try!
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Shaun das Schaf wrote: MsMary, once you get past the 5 drink barrier, it has the kind of vortex-hypnotising effect of the good Sgt's avatar. At least that's why I think I've been staring at the screen for the past ten minutes. :
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Shaun das Schaf »

Poider wrote:Yes Shaun the mullet wearing, Esky carrying, Thong (footwear for our overseas friends) wearing, Beer drinking yobbo. played by a young Eric Bana

Ah yes, it's all coming back to me.

And Sarge, you (burp) misquoted me. I would never do that.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Okay, I'll be the dumb American: What's an Esky? For that matter, what's a yobbo?

p.s. We got two kinds of clothing called thongs here -- the footwear and the other kind. :twisted:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Poider
Stonedownor

Post by Poider »

Hi aliantha, An esky is a drink carrying container, usually made of styrofoam that is used for keeping anything cool, typically in Australia we buy beer and grab a bag of ice they both go in the esky keeping the beer cold.
A yobbo is somebody (usually male, but not always) that spends their time drinking and carrying on like an idiot, they get load and courageous through the alcohol and get upto all sorts of antics.
Peter
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Poider wrote:Hi aliantha, An esky is a drink carrying container, usually made of styrofoam that is used for keeping anything cool, typically in Australia we buy beer and grab a bag of ice they both go in the esky keeping the beer cold.
A yobbo is somebody (usually male, but not always) that spends their time drinking and carrying on like an idiot, they get load and courageous through the alcohol and get upto all sorts of antics.
Peter
Thank you! (I coulda googled it, but it was more fun to ask! :) )

Esky sounds like a brand name, yes? Here we just call it a cooler.

OTOH, we have *loads* of names for yobbos. :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

Poider
Stonedownor

Post by Poider »

If esky is a brand name is is from a long time ago, we called them esky when I was a kid and thats nearly 30 years ago, what is
OTOH ?
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Poider wrote:If esky is a brand name is is from a long time ago, we called them esky when I was a kid and thats nearly 30 years ago, what is
OTOH ?
Like Kleenex used to be a brand, but is now any nose tissue?
OTOH is On The Other Hand.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I have some sort of vague idea that the original brand was Eskimo Coolers. And yes, it's old.

I guess it's the sign of ultimate brand success really. Like in the UK, they call all vacuum cleaners Hoovers.

--A
Poider
Stonedownor

Post by Poider »

So true, My wife and I just spent a month toruing the UK and Ireland and they always say they are hoovering the floor etc
Peter
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Hoover seems to be global. My sister-in-law once watched Batty, who was gobbling finger foods while seated in a high chair, and called her a miniature Hoover. :lol: (Batty is nearly 25 now. Gods, I'm old...)

EZ Board Survivor

Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Of course. To hoover - verb. Can't vacuum - it's a noun.

I don't say "Kleenex", I say Tissues!

You say Tomayto, I say Tomaato, as the song nearly says.

All part of the rich tapestry of life :D
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

So why does Robert Plant yells "poider" at the end of Bron-Y-Aur stomp?
Poider
Stonedownor

Post by Poider »

So now that I have ordered my Last Chronicles books online from the book depository, and they have been shipped, I look in my local book store and see all three, My worry is that the three I ordered are published by Ace books and are 532 pages, 610 pages and 624 pages, the books at my local book shop are published by Gollancz and have 784 pages, 896 pages and 784 pages.
Is this due to the print size or the page size, or have I bought abridged versions and been ripped off?
Peter
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Shaun das Schaf »

It's like lighting up a ciggie to make the bus come eh poider?

It'll be a print/page size issue. You wouldn't be sold an abridged version - I don't even think they exist!? - unless it specifically said abridged.
mrsnull
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by mrsnull »

Shaun das Schaf wrote:It's like lighting up a ciggie to make the bus come eh poider?
Made the bus in seconds flat
Found my way upstairs and had a smoke,
and Somebody spoke and I went into a dream

This last post I make for the return of Sarge...
“This is Our Bleeping City” - David Ortiz
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Poider wrote:have I bought abridged versions
There are abridged versions! Where can I get them :biggrin:

u.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Poider wrote:So now that I have ordered my Last Chronicles books online from the book depository, and they have been shipped, I look in my local book store and see all three, My worry is that the three I ordered are published by Ace books and are 532 pages, 610 pages and 624 pages, the books at my local book shop are published by Gollancz and have 784 pages, 896 pages and 784 pages.
Is this due to the print size or the page size, or have I bought abridged versions and been ripped off?
Peter
I know that Donaldson has several publishers which produce different versions of his books. Gollancz has been his British publisher, while Ace produces the paperback editions of his US versions. It's my understanding that there are small differences between the US and British versions - Lego vs Legos, trunk vs boot, color vs colour, that kind of thing. Nothing major, just typical Anglification. So no worries, you have the complete books, just with the occasional Americanism. Oh - and you get the US covers with the character portraits rather than the British covers with the abstract art.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

ussusimiel wrote:
Poider wrote:have I bought abridged versions
There are abridged versions!
NO! :lol:

--A

Return to “The Summonsing”