Greetings, unbelievers...

Hey Newbies, over here first ;) Come on in and tell us more about yourself. IMPORTANT: For new members, please read "New Members Only" BEFORE registering.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Menolly

Arch of the Covenant
Servant of the Land

Greetings, unbelievers...

Post by Arch of the Covenant »

I have been lurking here for a few weeks, and felt the need to start posting. Great forum!

I read TCTC back in the 80s. I remember pre-ordering The One Tree at my local bookstore. When they called and I came in to get it, I was surprised to see scores of copies all over the store -- until that point I had thought of it as "obscure".

I moved on to many other writers, but always had a fondness for SRD, which was confirmed when reading those short-story anthologies.

I had no idea that he'd started a new trilogy until last year when I found ROTE. Wow -- exciting! (And yes, I speak of it as a trilogy in the same way as Arther C Clarke, who said "no trilogy should have more than 4 books.") ROTE evoked many feelings -- it was a bit heavy-handed and morose, it had Linden Fuggin' Avery as the main character, and some of SRD's infamous word-smithing felt annoying. But overwhelming all of that was the tingle and excitement of revisiting the Land, the Arch of Time, and Covenant himself! Absolutely thrilling, minor flaws and all!

So now I'm reading FR and can't put it down. It's totally gripping me in a way that SRD and *few others* can manage. I am probably going to reread the entire series from the beginning before moving beyond FR. (There is SO MUCH I do not remember from the first 6 books. And one thing I do remember is hating The One Tree -- but I understand from the Gradual Interview that TOT is SRD's *favorite*. So I HAVE to re-read it all.)

Looking forward to mixing it up with you fellow unbelievers out there...
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Hello Arch. :wave: We seem to have led parallel lives! Found SD in the 80s, but only recently (about 3 years or so ago in my case) realised he had written the 3rd Chrons. :D
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Greetings, unbelievers...

Post by Vraith »

Arch of the Covenant wrote: Looking forward to mixing it up with you fellow unbelievers out there...
Heh...I'm not part of the official welcoming crew [mostly cuz I'm not official, particularly welcoming, nor crewish...no one, least of all an author tells me what I can row or what I can't!!!]

You may be surprised to learn we have non-, a-, pure-, semi-, and [other]- believers here in addition to un-.
And some of me....er...I mean "us" don't approve of mixing it up. It's ME or US or THEM, [or other] DAMMIT!! pick a side!-[ish]!

I'm sure a trio or ten will be along soon to say something like
Welcome to the Watch
Be Welcome and true!
or some other glad-handing.

I just say "Put up your sword!"
[in all the senses...put it away, raise it up, traditional Bard-style rapier, real period style blade, modern re-make Sword-model handgun, metaphorical "defend yourself cuz even folk who agree with you will quibble about everything, so lay back and enjoy it, etc.]

ooohhhh...damn, my left hand is the typer and my right hand doesn't know what it's doing...

I mean...

Hi there!
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Hi AotC, welcome to the Watch!

We're all Believers here :lol: There's loads of stuff on the Chronicles and SRD's other books. Don't try to read it all before you post. Don't be afraid to resurrect old threads or start new ones (if the Search option fails you).

If you're not a fan of Linden you may want to join the enlightened company of THOOLAH.

Nice pun in your name, BTW.

Be Welcome and True!

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
Lord Foul
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Lord Foul »

Greetings, Arch of the Covenant.

As already mentioned above, unbelief is not a necessary characteristic - actually, I consider it quite an inconvenience - try to materialize yourself anew after a few millennia while not really believing in your own existence, and you might well end up as just one eye or even looking like Marilyn Manson high on toxic mushrooms. Though perhaps some of that is not too bad of an option.
I have many names... and may play many roles

So that it's clear: I'm not the Lord Foul who was on the Watch before, from 26.10.2002 to 16.06.2012
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Vraith wrote:I'm sure a trio or ten will be along soon to say something like
Welcome to the Watch
Be Welcome and true!
or some other glad-handing.
ayeup.

Be Welcome to the Watch, AotC,
Be Well Come and True.

So, you're going to reread the entire series before moving on to AAtE? Not sure I would be able to do that, knowing it was released.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Welcome to the Watch, Arch of the Covenant.
May you thrive here...and contribute.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Welcome to the Watch. :D Ignore the mad people, and join in wherever you like.

--A
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

hi arch
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Shaun das Schaf »

Hi Archie.
Welcome, welcome, welcome.
Hope to see you posting and chatting about the place.
And like Avatar said.... ignore Avatar!
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

ussusimiel wrote:
Nice pun in your name, BTW.

u.
Damn! I missed that. Excellent. :lol:
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Arch of the Covenant
Servant of the Land

ussusimiel wrote:Hi AotC, welcome to the Watch!
If you're not a fan of Linden you may want to join the enlightened company of THOOLAH.
Ah yes, THOOLAH. I would count myself as a provisional junior applicant for THOOLAH. But I have a love/hate relationship with that character. I'm almost finished reading Fatal Revenant, and her transformation is almost as fascinating as Covenants.

Part of my loathing is based on books I read once in high school and never re-read. But there is SO MUCH I don't remember at all from One Tree and Power that I suspect I might be a Linden Avery liker in hiding. I need to do a full rereading, clearly.
Arch of the Covenant
Servant of the Land

Menolly wrote: So, you're going to reread the entire series before moving on to AAtE? Not sure I would be able to do that, knowing it was released.
Well, now that I'm approaching the end of Fatal Revenant, I'm starting to think AAtE might be a good next step before the full sweep...
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Battle duties demanded attention elsewhere, but Coldspray's troop bids new Land-visitors welcome.

Avatar ought not to call anyone mad after claiming himself that +15C is "freezing and inhuman". :P

NOOOO TOT is the very best of the entire Chronicles! So many intriguing places and characters. Pitchwife! Honninscrave! NOM! It needs moar love. :hide:
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Arch of the Covenant wrote:
Ah yes, THOOLAH. I would count myself as a provisional junior applicant for THOOLAH. But I have a love/hate relationship with that character. I'm almost finished reading Fatal Revenant, and her transformation is almost as fascinating as Covenants.

Part of my loathing is based on books I read once in high school and never re-read. But there is SO MUCH I don't remember at all from One Tree and Power that I suspect I might be a Linden Avery liker in hiding. I need to do a full rereading, clearly.
You sound like the perfect candidate for OPAL (Opinion Pending About Linden) for now. :thumbsup:
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Frostheart wrote: Avatar ought not to call anyone mad after claiming himself that +15C is "freezing and inhuman". :P
Pfft, as far as I'm concerned, that's just a sign of my absolute sanity.

And The Wounded Land is the best.
Shaun das Schaf wrote:And like Avatar said.... ignore Avatar!
Feel free, I'm quite used to it. ;)

--A
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Menolly wrote:
Arch of the Covenant wrote:

You sound like the perfect candidate for OPAL (Opinion Pending About Linden) for now. :thumbsup:

AND, because it is practically obligatory at this point I revert to::
ussussussussussusssissssmielllll wrote: the weak-kneed Vraith forever bowing his anile head at the alter of the Whiney One and relentlessly seek to impugn the anointed of THOOLAH
to say or you COULD actually like [or at least appreciate] Linden. It IS possible, and she ISN't a whiner. :lol:
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Vraith wrote:ooohhhh...damn, my left hand is the typer and my right hand doesn't know what it's doing...

I mean...

Hi there!
I found that whole post hilarious.
It had to be said...

Lest I act like this is a "people-who-already-know-each-other" club,

Welcome, Arch of the Covenant!
Enjoy your re-read, and enjoy the Watch!
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Welcome to the Watch, Arch of the Covenant. I'm glad to see that you've been found. But don't let those Holy Orderites raid you - join Linden's Army, so that you can be on the right side a year from now. You know I'm right. It's practically etched on a stone tablet.

Return to “The Summonsing”