Two arguments against the priority of happiness

Free discussion of anything human or divine ~ Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality

Moderators: Xar, Fist and Faith

Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

I think there are some fascinating agreements and contradictions between that and the Stoics...and also to parts, especially the Kant part, of the OP.

A Stoic...a "sage" one, a state somewhat like enlightenment...is happy in all situations/contexts/circumstances.

And virtue is both necessary and sufficient for happiness.

It isn't a pursuit, achievement, goal that gets happiness.
It is a way of living [always virtuous, and in accord with nature-here-and-now...that seems to reach towards both the Kant and the Eight-fold Path]
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Fist and Faith wrote:If something has to happen in order for you to be happy, then it's the wrong approach.
Exactly. Because once that thing has happened, you'll get over being happy, and something else will have to happen. And so, ad infinitum. ;)

--A
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

Sometimes I think that I'm sad and then I realise that I'm happy and it's like oh right
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Holarchy wrote:Sometimes I think that I'm sad and then I realise that I'm happy and it's like oh right
Dude.
Duuuude.

I'm so f-wording not blazed right now.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Article came up, has some links in it to studies, that relate to this topic.
Though folk might be interested.

Snips from it, points on mistakes of a smart guy who is unhappy [mistakes lots of people make] :
The first blunder was in trying to figure out if he was happy. When we pursue happiness, our goal is to experience more joy and contentment. To find out if we're making progress, we need to compare our past happiness to our current happiness. This creates a problem: the moment we make that comparison, we shift from an experiencing mode to an evaluating mode.
The second error was in overestimating the impact of life circumstances on happiness. As psychologist Dan Gilbert explains in Stumbling on Happiness, we tend to overestimate the emotional impact of positive life events. [/quote
The third misstep was in pursuing happiness alone. Happiness is an individual state, so when we look for it, it's only natural to focus on ourselves. Yet a wealth of evidence consistently shows that self-focused attention undermines happiness and causes depression.
The final mistake was in looking for intense happiness. When we want to be happy, we look for strong positive emotions like joy, elation, enthusiasm, and excitement. Unfortunately, research shows that this isn't the best path to happiness. Research led by the psychologist Ed Diener reveals that happiness is driven by the frequency, not the intensity, of positive emotions.
www.huffingtonpost.com/adam-grant/does- ... 76701.html
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.

Return to “The Close”