I've been Summoned!

Hey Newbies, over here first ;) Come on in and tell us more about yourself. IMPORTANT: For new members, please read "New Members Only" BEFORE registering.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Menolly

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Aiden Victore wrote:
wayfriend wrote:Welcome to the Watch, Aiden Victore (Aid In Victory?).
I like to play MMOs, usually as a support class (Healer, Medic, Tank, etc.). I'm never the one dishing out all of the damage, but I am always Aiding the team towards Victory. Aiden Victore ;)
Hopefully someone will start a new deity-oriented game in Gravin Threndor, or you can check out Heart of G-d. You may enjoy taking part.

Of the archived games, Darkwood, Vampire: DA, and Prophets are still ongoing on The Encyclopedia Infernalis, with Prophets being my favorite of those three.

The EI is also free to join, and there are other RP-based games there, including a couple based on Zelazny's Amber series. Come check it out.
Mega Fauna Blitzkrieg
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Mega Fauna Blitzkrieg »

Hello other new person with an annoyingly well thought out name!

Now then, get them to explain all their crazy in-jokes, and their cliques. And for that matter, why what must already be a small community is further segmented into groups.

Also get them to say if they all like each other or not. I see a lot of graduate school student type flaming going on, but when flaming gets too mature it's hard to tell if it is in good spirits or not! There are no passive aggressive smileyfaces to give it away, either :(
I know what an analogy is! It's like a thought...with another thought's hat on...?

The thing most people don't remember in regards to the Haruchai, is that you NEVER EVER play poker with them!
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Mega Fauna Blitzkrieg wrote:Hello other new person with an annoyingly well thought out name!

Now then, get them to explain all their crazy in-jokes, and their cliques. And for that matter, why what must already be a small community is further segmented into groups.

Also get them to say if they all like each other or not. I see a lot of graduate school student type flaming going on, but when flaming gets too mature it's hard to tell if it is in good spirits or not! There are no passive aggressive smileyfaces to give it away, either :(
Hmmm. Well, I've been here just over a year, I'm 60 and English. A lot of the humour here goes way over my head. Cliques? Well, some of the people on here have met each other which makes their relationship different to those of us who just post. I must say I've never felt excluded from anything because I only know people via the forum (and some on FB).

Some people in the "Tank" are very rude to each other. I try to keep out of that, but do post there occasionally. Is that what you referred to as "flaming"?

It takes all sorts. The thing that binds us is SRD. Everything else is on the periphery.

:D and enjoy the ride. Have you visited Mallory's yet? I spend quite a lot of time there.
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Iolanthe wrote:Have you visited Mallory's yet? I spend quite a lot of time there.
*shudder*

;)
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Iolanthe wrote:
Mega Fauna Blitzkrieg wrote:Hello other new person with an annoyingly well thought out name!

Hmmm. Well, I've been here just over a year, I'm 60 and English. A lot of the humour here goes way over my head. Cliques? Well, some of the people on here have met each other which makes their relationship different to those of us who just post. I must say I've never felt excluded from anything because I only know people via the forum (and some on FB).

Some people in the "Tank" are very rude to each other. I try to keep out of that, but do post there occasionally. Is that what you referred to as "flaming"?

It takes all sorts. The thing that binds us is SRD. Everything else is on the periphery.

:D and enjoy the ride. Have you visited Mallory's yet? I spend quite a lot of time there.
I agree with Iolanthe. I'm a member nearly two years and I've never felt excluded either. (Heh - maybe I'm one of those clique members you mentioned :lol: I know that I'm a graduate and mature-ish :biggrin: )

As you get to know people here and the way the Watch operates there's a certain amount of shorthand (and in-jokes) that build up. I'd say that that's normal on any forum or in any group where people become familiar with each other.

Outside of the 'Tank people generally like and appreciate each other very much. There is much kindness and consideration and people help and support each other in lots of different ways.

The Watch is definitely not as active as it used to be which is why it's great when a new person really gets involved. And Watchers will generally make a big effort to try an ensure that new members feel welcome so that they stick around and contribute to the life of the Watch. If there are any questions that you have about aspects of the forum that seem obscure (or in-jokes :lol: ) just ask. People will be more than willing to explain and fill you in on stuff in the hopes that in the not too distant future you'll feel like a fully-fledged member of the Watch (as people like Iolanthe and I now do).

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Inside the 'Tank people like and appreciate each other too. They just get a little worked up sometimes.

--A
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ussusimiel »

Avatar wrote:Inside the 'Tank people like and appreciate each other too. They just get a little worked up sometimes.
Agreed. There is plenty of mutual respect in the 'Tank, and because of the intensity of the debate in there relations are much more likely to become strained than in other forums (fora) (I really want to make a joke about 'fora and flauna' now but I have no idea what 'flauna' could be :lol: )

Another thing I wanted to point out about the Watch is that wordplay and thread drift are features of the forum. You can maybe indict SRD for the first, but we have only ourselves to blame for the second :lol:

u.
Are posted on the door,
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

ussusimiel wrote:I really want to make a joke about 'fora and flauna' now but I have no idea what 'flauna' could be :lol:
Might be a plural referring to multiple caramel-glazed custards.
ussusimiel wrote:Another thing I wanted to point out about the Watch is that wordplay and thread drift are features of the forum. You can maybe laud SRD for the first, but we have only ourselves to credit for the second :lol:
Fixed that for you...
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ussusimiel »

Savor Dam wrote:
ussusimiel wrote:I really want to make a joke about 'fora and flauna' now but I have no idea what 'flauna' could be :lol:
Might be a plural referring to multiple caramel-glazed custards.
I was hoping you might come to my aid, SD :lol: (In-joke note: SD is our premier wordplay/punnist :Hail: )

I'd actually thought of 'flan', but was hoping to take it a step further. How about 'phlauna', now possibilities like 'phyla' emerge and we're getting some place:
flauna: the divisions and classifications into which certain

custard-based and sponge-based (British-English)

desserts can be placed.
Now I'm just beginning to feel like a nerd :oops: (Still fun though :biggrin: )

Savor Dam wrote:
ussusimiel wrote:Another thing I wanted to point out about the Watch is that wordplay and thread drift are features of the forum. You can maybe laud SRD for the first, but we have only ourselves to credit for the second :lol:
Fixed that for you...
Thanks! I was trying for humility :lol:

u.
Are posted on the door,
Mega Fauna Blitzkrieg
<i>Elohim</i>

Shouldn't this place be more excited than ever, a few measly months away from the final book of the final series?! I mean, unless he decides to write another series.

But no by cliques, I meant the crazy acronym groups (I mean the names are crazy, not the people, although maybe they are too?).

Like if this were the official board for every writer of the scifi/fantasy genre, I can see the Donaldsonites going off together, and the Martiners going off and writing some overbearing genealogy tree for their members, and the wheel of time guy fans going off and discussing troop movements.

But this forum is already specific enough, and the average age appears to be far beyond petty tweenage angsty behavior, so I am not sure if these weird acronym groups are ironic or serious, and if their members actually do...fight each other.

Other posters have made veiled references to those groups doing recruitment, insults, berating and the like, but I haven't seen anything so far.

This is the internet, so as soon as you drop your guard some brave-while-anonymously-online person will come out of nowhere looking for a fight. In my experience.

In my experience here so far, people are eerily civilized and friendly even when disagreeing.
I know what an analogy is! It's like a thought...with another thought's hat on...?

The thing most people don't remember in regards to the Haruchai, is that you NEVER EVER play poker with them!
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Mega Fauna Blitzkrieg wrote:Shouldn't this place be more excited than ever, a few measly months away from the final book of the final series?! I mean, unless he decides to write another series.

But no by cliques, I meant the crazy acronym groups (I mean the names are crazy, not the people, although maybe they are too?).

Like if this were the official board for every writer of the scifi/fantasy genre, I can see the Donaldsonites going off together, and the Martiners going off and writing some overbearing genealogy tree for their members, and the wheel of time guy fans going off and discussing troop movements.

But this forum is already specific enough, and the average age appears to be far beyond petty tweenage angsty behavior, so I am not sure if these weird acronym groups are ironic or serious, and if their members actually do...fight each other.

Other posters have made veiled references to those groups doing recruitment, insults, berating and the like, but I haven't seen anything so far.

This is the internet, so as soon as you drop your guard some brave-while-anonymously-online person will come out of nowhere looking for a fight. In my experience.

In my experience here so far, people are eerily civilized and friendly even when disagreeing.
THOOLAH (The Holy Order Of Linden Avery Haters), OPAL (Opinion Pending About Linden) and LA (Linden's Army) are all centered around Hating Linden, being patient and waiting until completion of the story for judgement of Linden, or Supporting Linden and it's all just good clean fun, no real animosity. It's nothing like the blood shed on Harry Potter sites between the Ron/Hermione and Harry/Hermione 'shipping Wars and the like. The Political Forum "The Think Tank" is the only place where things actually get ugly, but, most of that is "Debating Tactics" rather than real ugliness.
Last edited by sindatur on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

ussusimiel wrote: (Heh - maybe I'm one of those clique members you mentioned :lol: I know that I'm a graduate and mature-ish :biggrin: )

u.
Heh...maybe we're a clique of two [or even a duprass....though that's probably a foma, which is what you get when fora and malaprops mate.]
At least a nice pear, the voters have said so...even if you are a fruit of a vine, not a tree...
Speaking of which, I figured out why you are in THOOLAH...you are a warped crop of the Sunbane...which isn't your fault, you aren't BAD you're just spawned that way...when Linden heals the world, you go extinct.

But to at least give a casual nod that I can pretend is somehow nebulously connected to the topic...
I'm gonna go see if "Blitzkrieg" has any material on Spotify.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ussusimiel »

You're not helping, Vraith! :-x

Mega Fauna Blitzkrieg wrote:Shouldn't this place be more excited than ever, a few measly months away from the final book of the final series?! I mean, unless he decides to write another series.
It's starting to pick up a bit, with new people joining and older members dropping back in to keep an eye on things. (BTW, have you joined the hidden forum for discussing The Last Dark. Click on the link in this post to request to join one of the groups (they're both essentially the same, just that a different mod will register you). If you're not joined up within a day or two just PM one of the mods or the forum administrator, Avatar, and they'll join you up double-quick.)).
Mega Fauna Blitzkrieg wrote:This is the internet, so as soon as you drop your guard some brave-while-anonymously-online person will come out of nowhere looking for a fight. In my experience.

Takes a bit of getting used to doesn't it! I think it was about six months before I actually believed that it truly was the standard here. I had very little experience of Internet forums but the little I had clearly showed me that flaming and trolling were what was to be expected. The Watch is different, a kind of oasis. The mods here are a very savvy and experienced bunch. They allow plenty of freedom for people to express themselves, but they are also very protective of the spirit of the Watch. That doesn't mean we don't occasionally have our troublemakers, but when we do they tend to be very creative in their trolling.

Mega Fauna Blitzkrieg wrote:But no by cliques, I meant the crazy acronym groups....
THOOLAH is a light-hearted way for members who are not gone on the Last Chrons to express their disappointment without directly criticising the books. OPAL and Linden's Army are light-hearted ways for others to try and point out the error of our ways :lol:

THOOLAH is so important that even SRD knows about it at this stage. (Click here (it's on the SRD website) and go to the Intro 4 video. You'll have to download the video before you can watch it, it'll probably take a couple of minutes but it's worth it!)

u.
Are posted on the door,
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

ussusimiel wrote:You're not helping, Vraith! :-x
Yes I am.
;)
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Come now...the Tank isn't that bad. It contains two groups of people: the people who agree with me and the people who are wrong.

:mrgreen:

There is significantly less rancor here than in other places I have visited...which explains why I do not visit those places any more.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ussusimiel »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:Come now...the Tank isn't that bad. It contains two groups of people: the people who agree with me and the people who are wrong.

:mrgreen:
Well at least now I know where I stand.

I'm wrong! :biggrin:

u.
Are posted on the door,
Mega Fauna Blitzkrieg
<i>Elohim</i>

ussusimiel wrote:You're not helping, Vraith! :-x

Mega Fauna Blitzkrieg wrote:This is the internet, so as soon as you drop your guard some brave-while-anonymously-online person will come out of nowhere looking for a fight. In my experience.

Takes a bit of getting used to doesn't it! I think it was about six months before I actually believed that it truly was the standard here. I had very little experience of Internet forums but the little I had clearly showed me that flaming and trolling were what was to be expected. The Watch is different, a kind of oasis. The mods here are a very savvy and experienced bunch. They allow plenty of freedom for people to express themselves, but they are also very protective of the spirit of the Watch. That doesn't mean we don't occasionally have our troublemakers, but when we do they tend to be very creative in their trolling.

u.
It is super...some word that means a mix of hilarious and exciting, that you specifically used an oasis metaphor. On the way up the stairs to check my computer I was thinking of this forum and I used exactly that metaphor, an oasis.

Of course then my usual despair kicked in and I remembered that 95% of oasis' are illusions caused by heat stroke. :(

Actually one of the first online communities I seriously joined was a MUD about history and myths of the world, formed by graduate students and most of the players were in some form of college. It was eventually ruined by high school kids like me--metaphysical trollers(covered that one up pretty well didn't I?) but it was a beautiful place while it lasted.

I have spent too much time since then, on the regular wild west untamed wilder lands called the internet. As you can probably tell my me derailing and attention whoring in *SOMEONE ELSE'S* introduction topic.

Wow, i'm like Covenant when he first gets to the land. I should change my title to the un-believer. Although really I am most easily summed up by putting Esmer and Jeremiah into a blender, 20% Jeremiah and 80% Esmer.

Ahem, actually I did join some of the optional forums too, or am pending on them. The biggest thing that was bugging me about THOOLAH was trying to decipher the name. I figured Hate and Linden were in there somewhere, by context. But the rest of the letters were just a wash for me.

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Mega Fauna Blitzkrieg wrote:The biggest thing that was bugging me about THOOLAH was trying to decipher the name. I figured Hate and Linden were in there somewhere, by context. But the rest of the letters were just a wash for me.
Has no one pointed you to the (to me, anyway) most important THOOLAH threads?

Start with THOOLAH has come to redeem your mortal soul.

There are lots of other threads that have to do with THOOLAH after that one. A search will bring them up. But as a staunch OPAL member, I would say the next most important THOOLAH one would be this one:

2nd read and...my mother of all reversals

;)
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

sindatur wrote: It's nothing like the blood shed on Harry Potter sites between the Ron/Hermione and Harry/Hermione 'shipping Wars and the like.
How many active shippers do we actually have strutting the deck (apart from me, whose soppy side screams for the occasional mush-materials complete with mawkish moonscapes)? I've seen hue render some TF/PW and Cov/Linden art, then there's the semi-silly Stave/Linden and Cov/Mhoram, but ship-scuffles, here? Even Deer didn't put her foot down on my recent non-canon concoction. More probable to see two sloths competing in a triathlon.

Then the occasional arguments in the lines of who's hotter, Linden of the First. (THE FIRST!!!)

If I need to talk about the hindside of this place, it's the fact that well-though-out responses or contributions that may have tens of hours or work behind them often get neglected, and that truly remains a constant source of annoyance. Just posted about ten pages' worth of chapter analysis to the TLD forum, and behold all the discussion it spawned. :roll:
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

It's almost all, almost always, both light hearted and ironic. Never take things too seriously. ;)

--A

Return to “The Summonsing”