Welcome Visitors & New Members !! - Say Hello in HERE :)

Hey Newbies, over here first ;) Come on in and tell us more about yourself. IMPORTANT: For new members, please read "New Members Only" BEFORE registering.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Menolly

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Elsewhere on the Watch I have quoted from Iain M Banks' Feersum Endjinn on the dangers of phonetic spelling. :D I'll let that stand here too:
Well, Ergates sez (& u can juss tel she’s tryin 2 b payshint) aside from the fact that it is folly 2 fro away even 1 life out ov 8, & thi eekwilly sailyent poynt that in thi present emerginsy it mite b fullish 2 rely on thi effishint funkshining ov thi reeincarnative prossess, ther is my own safety 2 think about.

Sum flox reckin its oll 2 do wif thi approachin enkroachin; they fink thi kaotic levils ov thi kript ½ sumhow woken up 2 thi fact that fings cude eventjulie get a bit hazardis even 4 them.
--A
Thyme
Servant of the Land

Post by Thyme »

I like your stylings, Dread Poet Jethro. I would give much to be so creative. ;)

However, I'm confused by all the debate regarding the pronunciation of <i>Thyme</i>. I've always spoken my name as a series of discordant clicks and shouts. I've been told it's disconcerting, yes, but no one's ever actually bothered to stick around to argue pronunciation with me...
Avatar wrote:Welcome to the Watch Thyme. :D The 'Tank is really not that bad. Well, probably not as bad as your kin anyway. ;)
It couldn't possibly be as bad as my kin. My immediate family quickly begins strongly resembling an open-caged zoo anytime anyone mentions religion, politics... or really, anything more serious than the dinner menu.

Speaking of menus, thank you for the invitation to The Galley, Menolly. I am sure I will read, but I'm a terrible cook, and not really a connoisseur of anything interesting. I do have favorite cereals, though, and I saw a topic for that!!!
Lord Foul wrote:Thyme, haven't seen you mention the Gap Cycle in your post, you might need to read that to know who you're listening to.

Not like I'm trying to drive you away from the Tank - rather to pique your interest through providing questionable information for you to check for yourself.
This coming from Lord Foul himself?? ;)

I read the Gap books, a veeeeeeeeeery long time ago. Names I have mostly forgotten, and even the plot is fuzzy for the most part. I remember enjoying them, but I have never felt the need for a reread. Might be time.

I am sure I will ultimately end up in the Tank. I am too curious, argumentative, and long-winded not to. ;)

I will endeavor to read for a while before opening my yap too wide over there, however. Thanks again to everyone for all the welcomes!

Uh, and I am glad my hastily-chosen name is a source of... um... discussion.
“A paranoid is someone who knows a little of what's going on. A psychotic is a guy who's just found out what's going on." ― William S. Burroughs

"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the truth of imagination--what the imagination seizes as beauty must be truth--whether it existed before or not." - John Keats

Post by Avatar »

On the Watch, everything is a source of discussion. ;)

Now go discuss things. :D

--A
PastorChris
Servant of the Land

Post by PastorChris »

Hi. I just finished The Last Dark last night, culminating my first read of the Last Chronicles and my umpteenth read of the First and Second.

I'll pre-answer any questions: yeah, I'm a pastor. Maybe I wouldn't be so up front about that, but when I had to write in my seminary application an essay on a book that had had a major impact on me, I wrote about Lord Foul's Bane.

I've loved The Land since I was probably a sixth grader, roundabout 30 years ago. It's been my favorite series, and SRD is my favorite author. A significant memory in my life was getting to meet him at ICFA '96 in Ft. Lauderdale. He called me a "two-fisted eater" (!) because I was carrying a plate of dinner and a plate of dessert from the buffet.

My wedding ring is white gold, secondarily because my wife's band is also white gold, and primarily because TC's is.

I just finished reading the Final Chronicles last night and remembered this forum, so I thought I'd hop on by and join up.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Avatar wrote:On the Watch, everything is a source of discussion. ;)

--A
Oh, I don't think that's true at all. I mean really...is there anything to discuss about that? Don't lead people to falsely believe we'll discuss anything when obviously there is nothing to discuss on this point. End of discussion.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Post by TheFallen »

Hi and welcome, PastorChris.

You may find The Last Dark threads most interesting initially, given that you've just finished your first read of the LCs.

Alternatively, if you're feeling brave, peek round the corner of The Close or dip a toe in the Tank.

Basically, jump on in when and wherever you feel like it - there's much to choose from.
Newsflash: the word "irony" doesn't mean "a bit like iron" :roll:

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

:wave: Hello PastorChris!
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Welcome to our congregation, PastorChris! Come to us for heart-heal and soul-assuage, for consummation of every ... uh ... pure thought (yeah). Sounds like you were converted long ago, but have kept the faith alive. So join in, and sing the praises of our favorite author. :)
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Hail and welcome, PastorChris! There's discussions about music, art, poetry, politics, food, day-to-day situations, and of course about our hero SRD. Please feel free to jump in anywhere.

I can relate to what you're saying about finishing The Last Dark, because that's the precise moment I decided to jump on board Kevin's Watch and begin posting.

Hail, and well met!
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Be Welcome to the Watch, PastorChris (may we call you PC? are you PC? ;) ).
Be Well Come and True.
Lord Foul
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Lord Foul »

Thyme wrote:I like your stylings, Dread Poet Jethro. I would give much to be so creative. ;)
Writing in haiku
Is something many can learn
From someone like him

Even my Despite
Is well accomodated
In poetic form
Thyme wrote:This coming from Lord Foul himself?? ;)

I read the Gap books, a veeeeeeeeeery long time ago. Names I have mostly forgotten, and even the plot is fuzzy for the most part. I remember enjoying them, but I have never felt the need for a reread. Might be time.
Well, you might wish to refresh your memory on that particular name if you value the possibility of knowing if you should rely on the information you obtain.
Thyme wrote:I will endeavor to read for a while before opening my yap too wide over there, however
Not necessary, many people here desire company, and some desire either recruits for the Dark Side or new victims :twisted:
PastorChris wrote:Hi. I just finished The Last Dark last night, culminating my first read of the Last Chronicles and my umpteenth read of the First and Second.

I'll pre-answer any questions: yeah, I'm a pastor. Maybe I wouldn't be so up front about that, but when I had to write in my seminary application an essay on a book that had had a major impact on me, I wrote about Lord Foul's Bane.

I've loved The Land since I was probably a sixth grader, roundabout 30 years ago. It's been my favorite series, and SRD is my favorite author. A significant memory in my life was getting to meet him at ICFA '96 in Ft. Lauderdale. He called me a "two-fisted eater" (!) because I was carrying a plate of dinner and a plate of dessert from the buffet.

My wedding ring is white gold, secondarily because my wife's band is also white gold, and primarily because TC's is.

I just finished reading the Final Chronicles last night and remembered this forum, so I thought I'd hop on by and join up.
Greetings, PasterChris. So, a fresh White Gold Wielder - do tell, what is your attitude to potential friends and allies who have a manner to somewhat look down on everyone...
Vraith wrote:Oh, I don't think that's true at all. I mean really...is there anything to discuss about that? Don't lead people to falsely believe we'll discuss anything when obviously there is nothing to discuss on this point. End of discussion.
End of the end of discussion, I want to discuss this more. I always have something to say when someone tries to impose anything on me... or when I can play on someone's nerves by doing so :twisted:
Menolly wrote:(may we call you PC? are you PC? ;) ).
Be Well Come and True.
Well, not too unlikely, would have been much more of a surprise if he was an NPC.
I have many names... and may play many roles

So that it's clear: I'm not the Lord Foul who was on the Watch before, from 26.10.2002 to 16.06.2012
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Welcome to the site PastorChris and Thyme
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Post by Avatar »

PastorChris wrote:...yeah, I'm a pastor. Maybe I wouldn't be so up front about that....
We won't hold it against you. ;) Welcome to the Watch. :D
Vraith wrote:Oh, I don't think that's true at all. I mean really...is there anything to discuss about that? Don't lead people to falsely believe we'll discuss anything when obviously there is nothing to discuss on this point. End of discussion.
On the contrary, it is clear that even the question of whether or not we discuss anything is open to discussion. Which sorta proves my point. ;)

--A
PastorChris
Servant of the Land

Post by PastorChris »

Menolly, you can call me Flower if you want to... :)

Actually, my secretary and the kids at church call me PC, so that's fine by me. As for whether I am PC, I can only say that I have been accused of that, even if I prefer the more accurate, "Raging Postmodernist."

Lord Foul, I'm not sure if you are just screwing with me or suggesting something...but if you ARE Lord Foul, it is probably both.
Verbose
Servant of the Land

Post by Verbose »

Hi Folks

I finished The Last Dark a couple of hours ago and I am letting it all sink in. I am not sure of my reaction yet - plus I am at work so I can't devote too much time to the gentle art of musing.

Have to say I am delighted there is a discussion thread on the book and I can't wait for access to be granted. Questions abound and I am curious to know what other's thought.

I can't remember exactly when I first read Lord Foul's Bane, but it must be 1983 or thereabouts. Its interesting to consider that 3 decades (and multiple reads of the books) have passed since then.

There is a statue in the High Street in Winchester (Hampshire, England) called Horse and Rider (1975) sculpted by Elizabeth Frink. The first time I saw it, I knew I was looking at a Bloodguard mounted on a Ranyhin. Have a Google and see what you think.
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Hello Verbose. :wave:

That statue wasn't there when I lived in Winchester (at KAC, now called Winchester University), just dear old King Alfred! I was there in the summer for a 40 year leaving reunion, but we didn't go through the town.

Anyway, you will find lots of verbose people on here. Join the club!!
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Lord Foul
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Lord Foul »

Greetings, Verbose. A fitting hande - a word quite characterstic for SRD's books.
Verbose wrote:There is a statue in the High Street in Winchester (Hampshire, England) called Horse and Rider (1975) sculpted by Elizabeth Frink. The first time I saw it, I knew I was looking at a Bloodguard mounted on a Ranyhin. Have a Google and see what you think.
I did know the Haruchai admired those horsies, and with consent at least, but this one does look a bit... overly not separated from the horse with clothing.
PastorChris wrote:Lord Foul, I'm not sure if you are just screwing with me or suggesting something...but if you ARE Lord Foul, it is probably both.
Ah, looks like you remember the books at least...

And as for the NPC - don't you know what those are?
I have many names... and may play many roles

So that it's clear: I'm not the Lord Foul who was on the Watch before, from 26.10.2002 to 16.06.2012

Post by Avatar »

Haha, welcome to the Watch Verbose. :D I hope you can live up to your name. ;)

--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Be Welcome to the Watch, Verbose.
Be Well Come and True.

We are doing our best to encourage ALL Watch members to come to elohimfest in June, whether n00bs or no. Start making your plans now!
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

May you thrive and be happy here, Verbose! :welcome:

Return to “The Summonsing”