Welcome Visitors & New Members !! - Say Hello in HERE :)

Hey Newbies, over here first ;) Come on in and tell us more about yourself. IMPORTANT: For new members, please read "New Members Only" BEFORE registering.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Menolly

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

hi PastorChris and Thyme & verbose
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Dondarion
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Dondarion »

I am a newbie to the Watch, but I have followed it and enjoyed it for some time now. It''s a great culture of people, and only SRD people get SRD, if you know what I mean. I just finished TLD a few weeks ago, and I have been feeling very blue about that since. I have a special place in my heart for TC, and I have learned much from him and his approach to life. Anyway, I finally decided to join the Watch, and after I posted on one of the threads, I was pointed here to introduce myself.

I first read TC in my early 20s back in 1983 or so, and I never even knew SRD was writing these LCs until about 2010 ( I know, where have you been, but I had to raise 3 kids in mean time, and that ain't no fantasy). I fondly remember telling my fiancé (now wife) about the series back when we were courting. To think she still married me after that! Anyway, after I rediscovered SRD all these years later, I re-read the whole series and then the LCs. I literally had forgotten the entire story in those 30 years. All I recalled was TC of course, Linden, and Foamfollower. It was great fun to rediscover this unbelievable tale, and all it's richness and lessons (which I appreciated much more in my 50s than in my 20s). My wife isn't quite as keen when I go on about it like I did 30 years ago, but she was infatuated back then....with me, not TC (hah!). I loved The Last Dark. In fact it might be my favorite of the series, and I look forward to discussing all this in the near future. But, for now, hello to all, and thanks for this Forum!
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Hi Verbose and Dondarion, welcome to The Watch.
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Be Welcome to the Watch, Dondarion (may we call you Don?).
Be Well Come and True.
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Hello Dondarian :wave:

So we found SRD at the same time, in the 80s. :D
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Dondarion
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Dondarion »

Thanks for the welcome! "Don" would be fine. I actually got "Dondarion" from GRR Martin's "Berek Dondarion", whose name reminded me of our old friend the Lord Fatherer, Berek Halfhand, and so I have liked him in the Ice and Fire series. And yes, I came across SRD in the 1980s, when I was looking for something to followup my newfound Tolkien fix (had read The Silmarillion, and was in awe). The 80s was a cheesy decade indeed, but my love for fantasy, and my future wife, was born therein, so I am a bit partial to it.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Dondarion wrote:The 80s was a cheesy decade indeed, but my love for fantasy, and my future wife, was born therein, so I am a bit partial to it.
Oy...if she is indeed still your future wife these thirty-odd years later, you two are exceedingly patient.

Obligatory TLD Spoiler:
Spoiler
While Covenant and Linden may have taken a few thousand years by Land-reckoning, even they only took roughly ten of our years to wed.
Put a ring on it!

;)
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Lord Foul
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Lord Foul »

Greetings, Dondarion.
Dondarion wrote:I fondly remember telling my fiancé (now wife) about the series back when we were courting. To think she still married me after that!
Perhaps "a fan of a leper rapist" has some appeal to it... or at least some originality.
Dondarion wrote:I loved The Last Dark. In fact it might be my favorite of the series, and I look forward to discussing all this in the near future.
Curious... so do you agree with TC's final decision and his arguments for that?
Dondarion wrote:Thanks for the welcome! "Don" would be fine. I actually got "Dondarion" from GRR Martin's "Berek Dondarion", whose name reminded me of our old friend the Lord Fatherer, Berek Halfhand, and so I have liked him in the Ice and Fire series. And yes, I came across SRD in the 1980s, when I was looking for something to followup my newfound Tolkien fix (had read The Silmarillion, and was in awe). The 80s was a cheesy decade indeed, but my love for fantasy, and my future wife, was born therein, so I am a bit partial to it.
So, basically named after Berek... you might wish to be careful around here.
Savor Dam wrote:Obligatory TLD Spoiler:
Spoiler
While Covenant and Linden may have taken a few thousand years by Land-reckoning, even they only took roughly ten of our years to wed.
Oh what's the need to rush like this, why can't people wait for a millenium or a few?
I have many names... and may play many roles

So that it's clear: I'm not the Lord Foul who was on the Watch before, from 26.10.2002 to 16.06.2012
Dondarion
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Dondarion »

Savor: She was my "future wife" at the time. I am a true "yellow gold wielder" for 27 years now.

LF: Who wouldn't love to hear about a story whose main character is a "leper rapist"? Not that I led with that one, mind you.

[mod edit]Leaving this in, but warning those who may not expect a spoiler in this forum to mean a TLD spoiler...~m.[/mod edit]
Spoiler
As for TC's decisions at the end, etc., I assume you mean his decision to allow LF (the real LF) to enter himself. I am okay with that, because first of all he was able to mind meld with what LF had learned for millennia, but more because of what has been referred to in other places "strength in contradiction". To live, we must die....to become strong, we must first accept our weaknesses, strength in inadequacy, all of that great philosophical stuff I love about SRD. Of course, there will be risks, but we recognize that these life experiences have caused us to know ourselves like never before, trust our newfound knowledge and strength specifically because of past failings, we have learned to trust others, and we know we will not go back to the former kind of life. It is dead. I think that's maybe why SRD leaves TC in The Land. He dies in the "real world", but more critically, that world is dead to him. It all made him who he is, the leprosy, Joan, Roger, his mistakes with the raping, his choices, rejections, deals, etc., but all of that ended up making him a stronger person, more responsible, and he finally understood that in the LCs.

I like the quote from Berek he refers to in the Epilogue: "Only the great of heart may despair greatly", again truth in contradiction. To TC, that described LF. We cannot know who he might have become, but for his own bad choices. But, he must have had a great capacity at one time for good, and TC is confident he can channel that for the good of all. I'd like to think he will.[/quote]
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Post by TheFallen »

Hi Verbose and Dondarion.

I also got into the First Chrons in the late 70's... pretty much when LFB was first published, so it's been a long journey for me too.

I remember my father - who was the most practical and down-to-earth of men who'd never have read a fantasy novel in his entire life - coming home after work one day and to my immense surprise giving me a copy of LFB that he'd bought on the way - because he'd heard people talking about it and thought I would enjoy it. (I had actually already got myself a copy, but I wouldn't have ever dreamt of telling him so.)
Newsflash: the word "irony" doesn't mean "a bit like iron" :roll:

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Welcome to the Watch, Dondarion!
Soarback Grayhare
Stonedownor

First post

Post by Soarback Grayhare »

Hi all, from a long (long, long) time lurker. I've been checking in to this site forever it seems, and finally decided to register. I actually think I registered a long time ago, but can't remember my user name, so maybe it was just a dream.

Thought I'd say Hi here as ordered by the High Lord, and move to more history in another post.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Welcome to the Watch, Soarback Grayhare!

Being a person "of a certain age", I entirely understand the discomforts you must put behind you and the hue of your plumage.

May you thrive here and contribute -- which I see you are already doing.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Welcome Soarback Greyhare. Whadyasay Dimeyes says hi, too.

Welcome Dondarion. You may have died seven times, but we welcome the life-impaired here.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Welcome to the Watch, Soarback Grayhare! Thanks for joining in!
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Hahaha, I only got the first part now. Otherwise, de ja vu.

--A
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

hi Dondarion.

hi Soarback Grayhare.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
apastuszak
Servant of the Land

Hello World!

Post by apastuszak »

New member of the forum.

Started reading SRD back in 1983 when I was in high school and LOVED the first Chronicles. I have read every single SRD novel, except the detective novels. I started to read one, but just couldn't get into it.

I think my favorite Donaldson books are the Gap novels.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Welcome to the Watch, apastuszak. Check out our Gap forum. Then realize the good stuff is in the Covenant forum. :)
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Hello there, apastuszak. I concur--The Gap Cycle is great reading as evidenced by the username I chose. There aren't many Gap-named folks here, sadly.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.

Return to “The Summonsing”