What are you reading in general?

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Dura Fairflank wrote: I saw that book, just the other day while searching for second-hand DVDs. I haven't been reading much at all recently and didn't know it was about the further adventures of Lisbeth Salander...
That one is book 3 though, make sure you read book 2 first...they're actually just one book split in two. (And better than the first it must be said.)
StevieG wrote:Then to AATE...
My favourite of the last chrons.

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

StevieG wrote:That's a noble quest, Cord Hurn!

IMO, The Man Who books get better, and kind of turn into an SRD work as they go. The Man Who Killed His Brother was relatively straight-forward for an SRD work, but they get more complex and character driven as they go on, and The Man Who Fought Alone to me was more about the characters than the mystery. Definitely my favourite of the series.

I still haven't read all SRD yet - haven't made it to The Last Dark yet - I'm almost finished with Fatal Revenant, which was a bloody chore in parts (at least the first half of it, then it got better). Then to AATE...
I appreciate your encouragement, Stevie G! And you're right, the detective novels get more character-driven the further along we go. Hope you enjoy AATE, for some amazing things happen in that one!
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Just finished "Till We Have Faces," by Lewis.

I'm not sure which is a more amazing accomplishment:
SRD achieving reader-empathy with Mr. Sunshiney-Cheerful-Leper-Rapist-Hero, or
Lewis achieving reader-empathy with a heroine who early on..
Spoiler
threatens to commit suicide in order to compel her sister to a betrayal
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
michaelm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by michaelm »

Finally moved on to White Gold Wielder over the weekend after having far too many interruptions while reading The One Tree.

Hopefully I will get a lot more reading time now, so I'll be planning a trip to the bookstore to pick something new up. Probably old new rather than new new, as I want to get some of the Thomas Hardy novels that I don't currently have a copy of but have read in the past.

After that I am definitely going to be considering the Final Chronicles.

Post by Avatar »

Angels & Demons, Dan Brown. Feel like some bubblegum. :D

--A
Rod
Stonedownor

Post by Rod »

Picked up The Last Dark today.

Just in time. There were only four hardbacks left in stock.

Post by Avatar »

I think you and MichaelM are looking for this thread: What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW? ;)

(Not that it matters in the scheme of things, but we try to be orderly. Sometimes. ;) )

--A
michaelm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by michaelm »

Avatar wrote:I think you and MichaelM are looking for this thread: What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW? ;)

(Not that it matters in the scheme of things, but we try to be orderly. Sometimes. ;) )

--A
I would have but because the next thing I'm aiming for is Thomas Hardy, I posted here.
Rod
Stonedownor

Post by Rod »

Avatar wrote:I think you and MichaelM are looking for this thread: What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW? ;)

--A
The *not* Donaldson part confused me.
General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion
A place for anything *not* Donaldson.
- okayday
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Dura Fairflank wrote:

--A
The *not* Donaldson part confused me.
General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion
A place for anything *not* Donaldson.
- okayday
He's right! Don't post in the General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion! Stay here, where we are sane! :S
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
michaelm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by michaelm »

You guys are confusing me! All I wanted to do was say that I'm shortly going to start reading Hardy, but elaborated too much... :huh:

:lol:

Post by Avatar »

Hahaha, the forum is for non-Donaldson discussion, the thread is for any sci-fi or fantasy book you're reading. :D

This one if for any non-sci-fi or fantasy book you're reading.

Except for historical books. They have their own thread in Doriender Corishev. ;)

:D

--A

Post by Avatar »

White Plague by Frank Herbert. Written when the IRA were still the most dangerous terrorist organisation in the world, but very good. (I've read it before...got it for the GF.)

--A

Post by Avatar »

Bard: The Odyssey of the Irish by Morgan Llewellyn. A long time favourite of mine.

--A
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Sonic Boom - a history of Seattle music. from Louie, Louie to Smells Like Teen Spirit.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
michaelm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by michaelm »

I finally finished White Gold Wielder last night and as I put it back on the shelf, Junky by William Burroughs caught my eye, so I started reading that.
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Just finished the latest Michael Connelly Bosch novel, The Burning Room. Quite good, and it's always satisfying when Harry is doing what he does best :lol: (Rather than gallivanting around and messing with things that are not really his thing (like in Nine Dragons, which I didn't finish :? )

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
michaelm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by michaelm »

Finished Junky, and before I could get to the book store I had a desire to read The Trial by Kafta, so that's what I'm reading now.
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Have you read other Kafka?
I have never read him... not yet sure if I should; but am kinda curious.
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
michaelm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by michaelm »

Linah Heartlistener wrote:Have you read other Kafka?
I have never read him... not yet sure if I should; but am kinda curious.
I have read The Castle too, which is less finished, but still a good book. I have wanted to get Metamorphosis and Amerika and the various short stories too, but haven't got round to it.

First time I read The Trial and The Castle I just sped through them as I got so caught up in things and really wanted to see how all the frustrations and plot twists got resolved.

Return to “General Literature Discussion”