Welcome Visitors & New Members !! - Say Hello in HERE :)

Hey Newbies, over here first ;) Come on in and tell us more about yourself. IMPORTANT: For new members, please read "New Members Only" BEFORE registering.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Menolly

Groveller
Servant of the Land

Post by Groveller »

wayfriend wrote:Heed me well, Groveller. I have a task for you. You will bear a message to Kevin's Watch. Say to the members of Kevin's Watch ... how cool this forum is again. We like that! :)

You are heeded Wayfriend! t'will be my honor to carry out your given task!
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Groveller wrote:You are heeded Wayfriend! t'will be my honor to carry out your given task!
Oooh, ooh... where are you going to say it? Lemme know in case it's on another thread or in another subforum... if it is, I may never find it!

(hmmm. guess wayfriend may have been right about us...)
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

I bet he ventures into the Tank. :mrgreen:
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

That would be just my luck, wouldn't it, Hashi?

OTOH, if Groveller's first post in the Tank is about how cool this forum is, then... hmm, awkward.

However, I'm pretty sure NOBODY is gonna beat me for most awkward one-off post venturing into the Tank. I laugh now.

So there you have it, Groveller, we are all waiting to see what you will do. :)
Wildling
Giantfriend

Post by Wildling »

Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Avatar wrote: Welcome aboard Packshaud. :D (My uncle used to work at IBM.)
--A
Heh...one of mine, too. His whole working life, I'm pretty sure.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Hail and welcome, Groveller and Packshaud!
Please make yourselves at home here!

There's lots of topics concerning Donaldson's works here, so don't be shy and dive in and post wherever you want to, depending on what you've read.

Most of the SRD forums are self-explanatory by their titles, but I would like to point out that discussions of Donaldson's "The Man Who" mysteries and of his short stories can be found in the forum General SRD Discussion and Other Works.

As for the basically non-Donaldson parts of the Watch, here's some other areas you may be interested in:

The Loresraat - science/technology
The Galley - cooking
Vespers - music appreciation
Doriendor Corishev - history
The Close - religion/philosophy
The Hall of Gifts - creative writing
Hile Troy's Think-Tank - politics/current events

And of course, there's the games, and try to stop by The Chronicles Art Gallery--I think you'll be glad you did!

And here is a thread for keeping up with what areas are newest in appearance or recent popularity: Trending on the Watch - What's New & What's Hot!

Both of you, please feel free to join in posting about whatever interests you!

(With thanks to Menolly and Savor Dam for their help in providing me links for the forum titles. Thanks also to Linna Heartlistener for suggesting the inclusion of Ussusimiel's Trending thread.)
beckiemas
Servant of the Land

Post by beckiemas »

Hi everyone!

I've just joined up today after finishing TLD a couple of days ago. I only started LFB about a year ago, and have read nothing but the Chronicles since then. I'm feeling a bit bereaved... TC became such a big part of my life!

And while I know many folks who've read the first and second chronicles, I don't know anyone who has read the last chronicles, so I am dying to discuss it.

I stumbled across the KW forums several months ago when I was guiltily googling for artistic impressions of the ur-viles (and noticed the forums being acknowledged by SRD in the last chronicles!). I decided to steer clear of any spoilers so waited until now to join up!

It's nice to know I might be able to keep The Land close to my heart through these forums, but I'm a PhD student so may at times disappear into my own personal despair...

Hope to get to know some of you and your thoughts on TC soon.

Bec
"She did not know how to stop fretting. Instead she gnawed on her fears as if she hungered for them; as if at the marrow she would find sustenance."
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Welcome to the Watch, Bec!

More than enough TC lore here to keep you stocked up for years. Don't feel you have to read it all before you start posting though. Don't be afraid to dust off old threads or start new ones; we look forward to your impressions and opinions.

Be Welcome and True!

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Welcome!

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
ussusimiel wrote:Welcome to the Watch, Bec!
+1

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Be Welcome to the Watch, Bec.
Be Well Come and True.

Your experience of reading the entire chrons straight through without having to wait for any of them to be published may be singular on the forum so far. We've had posters tell us they were starting the chrons for the first time, but I don't think any of them have posted they've finished them yet.
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

beckiemas wrote:but I'm a PhD student so may at times disappear into my own personal despair...
I can understand that!

Welcome!

-jay, ph.d.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Welcome aboard Bec. :D And while you might be done with the Chrons, there's plenty of other great SRD books if you're so inclined. Or, y'know, you could just discuss any other books here too. ;)

--A
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Welcome to the Watch, beckiemas. I'm going to have to slot you in above Michaelmas and below Christmas in the rankings, but there's time to move up!
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Welcome!
One hopes that the cartoon ur-viles did not afflict permanent trauma upon you. ;)
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Hail and welcome, Beckiemas! That's interesting that you've read the entire Chronicles straight through, all for the first time. I'm with Menolly; that does indeed seem unique for Watch members. It will be intriguing to discover from your posts how reading them all for the first time in "one grand sweep" has affected your impression of the books.
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Welcome!
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Hello bec :wave: Welcome to the Watch.
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Cord Hurn wrote:...how reading them all for the first time in "one grand sweep" has affected your impression of the books.
It's an interesting question. In general, I suspect that most people who do that (not talking about the chrons here, but in general) do not form the same sort of attachment that people who have read, and re-read, books while waiting for the next one to come out.

My GF is a prime example...she very rarely starts a series unless it is already complete, and she almost never re-reads long series.

--A

Return to “The Summonsing”