New reader, inbound!

Hey Newbies, over here first ;) Come on in and tell us more about yourself. IMPORTANT: For new members, please read "New Members Only" BEFORE registering.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Menolly

Major Isoor
Woodhelvennin

New reader, inbound!

Post by Major Isoor »

Hey there!

I recently became a big fan of the series after finding the first (and later the second) chronicles at a secondhand bookstore, and remembering that a friend recommended it to me; giving me a synopsis of it as: "it's about a leper who gets sucked into a fantasy world, and has to go around saving the place!" Needless to say, I bought them all, and am now reading The One Tree. :D

But yeah, I found this forum after Googling for some information on the series, so I thought I'd register right away - even if I don't wind up posting a lot, due to reading the books too much, heh.

EDIT: Huh, also what are these 'White Gold Dollars'? Am I able to purchase goods and services, with this newfound wealth?
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Welcome to the Watch, Major.
Don't sell yourself short. Surely some find you comely?
In any case, may you thrive here and contribute!

White Gold Dollars are useful for buying items such as those you see listed under people's avatars on the left side of their posts. You can also donate them to others, as some Watchers (my co-moderator here, for example) are on semi-hopeless quests for the highest value items like the White Gold Ring.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Be Welcome to the Watch, Major Isoor.
Be Well Come and True.

What SD said regarding WGDs. To find the purchasable items, go in to the Stores in the toolbars at the top of every forum page.

As a newbie to the chrons, let me caution you about frequenting The First and Second Chrons forum. Since those series have been out so long, none of those posts are spoilered, and references to all the books in both series are posted throughout. If you don't want the tale spoiled for you, you may wish to wait to peruse through that forum.

However, the dissections for each chrons pretty much stick to the story at the point it is being discussed, so I feel fairly safe in saying you can participate in them through what you have read so far and continue on as you progress.

In the meantime, please visit other areas of the Watch outside of the chron related topics. We have forums and threads which cover just about anything and everything. Take a look around, find your niche, and jump in.

I look forward to reading your posts.
Major Isoor
Woodhelvennin

Post by Major Isoor »

Whoops! Well, I've already delved into the First and Second Chronicles forum, but I'll definitely be wary of what I view! I've already had a couple of close encounters with plot-points, when I've looked things up on the internet, so I'm most certainly going to try to keep my curiosity and longing for additional information at bay, until I read White Gold Wielder, at least!

Ah, so that's what those things are, underneath usernames. Is there any actual benefit/function for it, or are they purely decorative? (heh, I'm not expecting lots in terms of benefits; possibly a group membership, or something. e.g. The 'Foul Duck' club, possibly? :D )

Anyway, thanks for the welcome, guys! I'll certainly need to add the forums to my list of bookmarks/favourites! Also, I don't suppose there are any other Australian KW members around here? I haven't really seen or heard anyone down here talk about Thomas Covenant, other than a good friend of mine/my family.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Major Isoor wrote:Ah, so that's what those things are, underneath usernames. Is there any actual benefit/function for it, or are they purely decorative? (heh, I'm not expecting lots in terms of benefits; possibly a group membership, or something. e.g. The 'Foul Duck' club, possibly? :D )
Well, several user items have to do with the role playing games in Gravin Threndor, but they're not really earned as much as associated with an aspect of the game. The items in the Aumbrie of the Clave would definitely give status, but they truly are difficult to reach, and the admins have threatened with increasing their cost as anyone approaches the needed WGDs to purchase them. Still, it is the journey to attain the goal, rather than the goal itself, that matters.

I am guessing the user items with the most benefits would be the three that designate where you stand in regards to Linden Avery: the Linden's Army item, the THOOLAH item, or the OPAL user item.

As far as clubs go, I guess The Mile High Club would be the only one to strive for, other than deciding if you wish to be classified among THOOLAH, LA, or OPAL.
Major Isoor wrote:Anyway, thanks for the welcome, guys! I'll certainly need to add the forums to my list of bookmarks/favourites! Also, I don't suppose there are any other Australian KW members around here? I haven't really seen or heard anyone down here talk about Thomas Covenant, other than a good friend of mine/my family.
We have several Watchers from Oz who are regular posters; I do believe most of them are now mods, even. :)
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Welcome to the Watch Major. :D

Beware spoilers in the Chrons forums, but join in anywhere else.

--A
Major Isoor
Woodhelvennin

Post by Major Isoor »

Menolly wrote:As far as clubs go, I guess The Mile High Club would be the only one to strive for, other than deciding if you wish to be classified among THOOLAH, LA, or OPAL.
Hah, I think if I was to affiliate myself with any of those groups, it would have to be OPAL! Not sure about why there's enough dislike directed at Linden to warrant a hate-group, but I think I'll be finding out soon enough!

And it's good to hear that my fellow Australians have begun the infiltra- I mean uh, gathering of new friends, then! :shifty:

Post by Avatar »

:LOLS:

You'll fit in just fine. :D

--A
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Hello Major Isoor. :wave:

I see you are fence sitting. How can we coax you into Linden's Army? :P
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Shaun das Schaf »

:wave:
G'day Major, from one of your fellow infiltra- uh harmless Australian KW members.

I assume you've already received your secre- uh I mean open and transparent order- uh I mean education pamphlet outlining the timing and details of the imminent attac- uh I mean mass cuddling of all non-Australian watchers.

Do not hesitate to contact your regional Command- uh I mean any one of the friendly moderators should you have any questions.
Lord Foul
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Lord Foul »

Greetings, traveller from afar. I see you have potential... such words about the gathering of new friends.
I have many names... and may play many roles

So that it's clear: I'm not the Lord Foul who was on the Watch before, from 26.10.2002 to 16.06.2012
Major Isoor
Woodhelvennin

Post by Major Isoor »

Shaun das Schaf wrote::wave:
G'day Major, from one of your fellow infiltra- uh harmless Australian KW members.

I assume you've already received your secre- uh I mean open and transparent order- uh I mean education pamphlet outlining the timing and details of the imminent attac- uh I mean mass cuddling of all non-Australian watchers.

Do not hesitate to contact your regional Command- uh I mean any one of the friendly moderators should you have any questions.
Indeed! So it's agreed, then. We'll all meet here at oh-eight-hundred hours tomorrow, to commence the attack. I mean..uh... Distribution of laughter and kind words.

...Yes, that'll stick... :twisted:
Lord Foul wrote:Greetings, traveller from afar. I see you have potential... such words about the gathering of new friends.
Hah, yes indeed! As long as they don't include a few thousand wedges of hostile ur-viles led by a raver, eh? :D (and no, not the 'clubber' type, sadly! haha)
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Welcome Major from another Ozstrayan :D
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Major Isoor
Woodhelvennin

Post by Major Isoor »

Iolanthe wrote:Hello Major Isoor. :wave:

I see you are fence sitting. How can we coax you into Linden's Army? :P
(oops! Somehow missed this post) Ah, well at this point we'll have to wait and see, I suppose! Since I mostly likely not yet at the point where Linden seemed to offend/anger so many users! (Since who knows, maybe there is indeed some reason behind their dislike - unlikely as that may be! :D )

And wow, yeah, there certainly is a good few of us Aussies up here on the Watch! I certainly hope no rascal Vics have been around, causing trouble for you all! :P
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Welcome, Major Isoor. I'm pretty scruffy looking myself, so you're apples with me.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Major Isoor wrote:Also, I don't suppose there are any other Australian KW members around here? I haven't really seen or heard anyone down here talk about Thomas Covenant, other than a good friend of mine/my family.

Greetings! And in answer to your question [I scrolled quick, didn't see an answer] it is NO, there are no aussies here, because:

proof australia is a myth

although many CLAIM to be from there, I've not seen proof they are real, nor that they, if real, are not lying.
EDITED to ADD:
CRAP...sarge beat me by THIS much...
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.

Post by Avatar »

:LOLS:

--A
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Welcome. :lol: The Aussies indeed have assembled a take-over plan, partially in the form of cuddly sheep.

This requires a counter-invasion from Norsemen to keep the hemispheres balanced. Perkele, beginning to feel lonely here. :(
Major Isoor
Woodhelvennin

Post by Major Isoor »

Frostheart wrote:Welcome. :lol: The Aussies indeed have assembled a take-over plan, partially in the form of cuddly sheep.

This requires a counter-invasion from Norsemen to keep the hemispheres balanced. Perkele, beginning to feel lonely here. :(
Hm, Perhaps some kind of alliance may be formed? :D

On a side-note, would I be able to make a thread in either the 1st+2nd Chron forum or the Dissecting forum where I can ask about any questions I have regarding the books when they crop up, as well as discuss certain points? (for instance, a potentially major discussion point from the First Chronicles:
Spoiler
Elena breaking the law of death with the EarthBlood, and what we each think should've been done, instead
. :( )

Since yeah, hopefully then I'll be safe from spoilers, which is the main concern - otherwise I'll probably post in an existing thread, but I'll have to be cautious about reading the previous posts!

EDIT: Also, this is certainly a first; now that I've joined a community which has a Sudoku game built in, I think I may actually have to learn to play!

Return to “The Summonsing”